Anyone had a regain and now losing the regain?

SHRINKINSISTA
on 9/19/15 8:21 pm

Hi

I had rny about 6 years ago. I lost 150 but gained back 60. I never reached my goal weight. I am still very overweight. A friend talked me into trying weigh****chers but disappointed because over 3 months only lost 12 pounds. I did not exercise much but felt with my weight I wouldn't need to worry about that right now. My surgeon told me to eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables and protein. He encouraged me to eat any healthy carbs in the morning/lunch and none after lunch time and as much vegetables as I want. I have been eating 3 meals and in the evening 1 small snack (usually a piece of fruit) and I stop eating 3 hours before bed and drink 100oz of water each day. I just do not understand why I am not losing weight. I am disappointed in myself that I had such a large regain. I do not want a revision right now as I still do have my tool and I know it still works if I work it but doesn't work quite like it did in the beginning but there might come a time I may want a revision but so far my surgeon does not do revisions for any of his patients.

Anyone here had a regain and losing their regain and had rny? What is working for you? I really need some guidance and support. Thank you. Steph

Ladytazz
on 9/19/15 8:40 pm

I know several people who have had regain and then lost the regain and then some.

The old cliche but back to basics.  Protein first, don't drink with meals or 30  minutes after and avoid the refined carbs.

If your tool still works then you have already ahead of the game.  Now it's time for you to work it.

I had a large regain after having a DS in 2002.  I regained 100 lbs.  I actually had a revision to reduce my malabsorption because of issues I was having.  I did not have the revision to lose weight because at that point I felt like a lost cause.  I figured if I could fail a WLS like the DS I had no hope.

My surgeon did lengthen my common channel but also revised my sleeve to a RNY pouch, mainly to help so I wouldn't continue to gain.

I decided since I had to have a revision anyway I might as well try to put my tool to work.  I knew what I did wrong the first time and I was determined to learn from my mistakes.

The biggest thing I accepted was that no matter how small my stomach might be I could not manage to eat small amounts of refined carbs like sugar, bread, cookies, candy and all the other crap I was eating regularly.  That just wasn't possible for me no matter what surgery I had.

I had to eliminate those things if I wanted to get a handle on my weight.  Eating those things in moderation wasn't happening and I was frustrating myself by trying the same thing and having the same result.

I aim for at least 100 grams of protein a day and 100 oz of fluids.  My meals are mainly meat or dairy or other high protein sources.  I have small amounts of fruits and veggies and other natural sources of carbs but the main event is my meals is protein.

You may need to get all the junk out of your house if you still have some.  If you have family that insists they need them ask them to eat them away from the house. 

It may take a while to de-carb and until you do you may find yourself craving them but hang in there and it will get better.

If you find you can't make changes on your own it may help to find a counselor or support group to help you.  The important thing is an honest self appraisal in your eating habits and a desire to make healthy changes.

Hang in there.  It may not be easy but it is doable and the good news is that the longer you do it the easier it gets.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SHRINKINSISTA
on 9/19/15 11:02 pm

Thank you for sharing this.

I have for the past month been eating very healthy. Maybe its the fruit that is not working for me. Its just so strange. This is what my meals have looked like

Breakfast

Whole Grain oatmeal (made on the stove (not instant) with almond milk

added honey and a tiny bit of splenda brown sugar blend

1/2 cup blueberries

Lunch

green salad with cucumber, tomatoes

1 tbls light italian dressing

chicken or shrimp or some type of protein added

Dinner

Fish

green beans

steamed cauliflower

3 hours before bed

apple

or a peach

throughout the day 100oz of water

somedays for lunch I would use a flatbread fold out with

turkey, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, light mayo mustard.

Sometimes for dinner I would add some brown rice or quinoa

literally that is my day and I am  losing sooooo slow!!! I know what my body is capable of and these last 3 months 12 pounds down and that is it. frustrated

Ladytazz
on 9/20/15 8:03 pm

Do you want my honest opinion and won't take offense? Because this really isn't personal, just my own observations from my own experience.

First, lose the oatmeal. All carbs and not much else. Well, fiber but not worth it at the expense of protein. Where is the protein? You should be eating eggs or a protein shake or Greek yogurt, something high in protein. Plus honey and brown sugar blend? All simple carbs that you don't need right now.

Lunch? Again where is the protein? You mention shrimp or chicken almost as an afterthought. It needs to be the star attraction with the salad as an afterthought. And kill the wrap as well.

Dinner starts out right but kill one of the vegetables and replace it with more protein.

And your fruit snacks? Again, replace with protein.

You may be seeing a trend here. In order to take advantage of your tool you need to be filling it up with dense protein. Protein will help satisfy your hunger where carbs, especially simple carbs, will make you crave more.

I have a protein goal for every meal and snack. I aim for 25-30 grams of protein per meal and my snacks have to have at least 10 grams of protein. I don't eat the fruits or vegetables until I hit my protein goal.

Until you hit your goal weight, if you want to hit your goal weight, protein needs to be the main event in your food choices, with carbs being a condiment. I am talking about carbs from fruits, vegetables and grains. Dairy carbs I am a little more free with as long as the amount of protein justifies it.

While I was in my losing phase I tried to keep my carbs under 100 grams, and closer to 50 excluding carbs from things like Greek yogurt. This isn't just to faciltate weight loss, although it certainly will help, but to help you learn to eat in the best way to take advantage of your tool, to relearn habits that will help you not just lose the weight but keep it off.

If you do nothing else but eat mainly protein and low carb and avoid drinking with meals and at least 30 minutes after you eat you will find yourself on the losing side again.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Chickenboob
on 9/23/15 1:57 am - Rockland, Canada

This and the advice from other posters are good advice. It's contrary to what were are told, but it works. Think back to when you were first able to eat solid foods and were following your protocol very closely. what behaviours supported your loss? Mine was a fear of dumping so I stayed away from sugar and fat completely. I have gotten back to basics. It is going to be a long hard road, but I will get there and so will you. you are already doing really well and I think the tweaks suggested by the other posters will help.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/15 12:37 pm

I need to give up grains and most fruits if I want to lose any weight...

some people do OK eating starchy carbs - but its is not for me.. my body converts any sugary/starchy carbs into extra weight and carbs also make me very hungry. 

adding healthy fats - like 1/2 avocado to your salad -may help. 

In addition 3 months = 12 weeks so you really lost 1 lbs a week.. that rate is expected... unfortunately - unless you drastically limit calories - and exercise like crazy - 1 lb a week is a good weight loss...  it is slow - but if you can lose that on what you are eating - it is not too bad... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Livingspree79
on 9/22/15 5:20 pm

I regained all but 10 pounds after getting pregnant and not reaching goal.  I had a RNY 12 years ago.  Have lost, gained, and now lost again 30 lbs over the last two years.  My recent progress has come from cleaner eating, working with a personal trainer, and working with my Apc! A bariatric doc who is really great.  We've been treating my PCOS with metformin.  She also put me on adipex and we've recently added saxenda.  It is such a process and so much slower but I understand so much more about using my tool.  I was well on my way to being bigger than my prepon weight.  Tackling it slowly and gaining control.

Chickenboob
on 9/23/15 1:49 am - Rockland, Canada

I am in the same boat and my heart goes out to you. It's so frustrating to be doing  your best and not seeing results. Someone suggested I try the Atkins induction. I did and I have lost 14 pounds since Sept 6th, compared tot he zero pounds that I had lost the previous 4 months.

The difference?  I kicked out oatmeal and blueberries at breakfast, kicked out my 1 fruit per day and my 1/4 C quinoa at supper and replaced them with a little more protein and non-starchy vegetables. That's it. 1 serving of oatmeal, 2 servings of fruit and a petite serving of grains was sabotaging my efforts. I followed what the nutritionist at the clinic said and it was simply wrong for me. MY WLN said that they aren't allowed to advocate Atkin's. She also recommended the book the metabolism miracle, which is similar. I was upset that they let me suffer and feel like a failure for two years based on a policy. The later phases of atkins incorporate more carbohydrates until you find your personal amount that allows you to maintain your goal weight.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Best Wishes,

K

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

SHRINKINSISTA
on 10/7/15 2:07 pm

I am so sorry everyone. I had the worst headcold and didn't log in for a few weeks here. I just read all your responses and they ALL make sense!!! I was wondering why in the evenings I was SOOO hungry. Not head hunger (which I do struggle with) but this was physical hunger...if I don't eat now I will die hunger, lol) But looking over what you'all have suggested and my meal plan I do see where I lack in protein even though I always felt I was eating a lot of protein and where my menu needs to change to mostly just dense protein.

I was so sick of protein drinks but now think I need to go back to protein drinks again. I am not much of a protein bar person but having a few on hand might help. Anyone had premier shakes? I see they are 30g of protein.

I was working with a dieitican but her views on carbs are much different than mine, lol. When I tracked in myfitnesspal I was seeing 155g and sometimes 200g of carbs and I told it that was just too much and she disagreed with me. I am going to switch things up A LOT by focusing on protein. And the one habit I have always kept (I would say 80% of the time) is I do not drink with meals, I used to wait 45 mins in between meals but changed that to 30 mins, lol. Thank you all for your support :)

Most Active