Whey Protein? Please Help!

Cella123
on 3/23/11 1:45 pm - IL
I am so confused about the different whey protein powders. My Dietitian recommended Unjury but I think it cost to much. I have bought Body fortress for shakes and an Unflavored 100% whey protein from a health food store and looks like brown sugar which smells real bad by the way. Can I mix the unflavored one with hot foods like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and cold foods like jello and yogurt. Would this taste funny because it is not an Isolate whey protein powder, is the isolate powder white like powdered sugar or brown like brown sugar. What did you use when you could only drink liquids. how did you add protein to your food and drinks.

Suite1
on 3/23/11 2:00 pm - Dayton, OH
The critical thing is to make sure whatever brand you settle on is an ISOLATE protein, or your body is not going to absorb it properly.

Yes, you can mix an unflavored one into hot foods, but it's tricky because it won't blend well if the other item is too hot.   I wish I knew the trick, I never mastered it, but I'm sure you could use the search feature and look for older posts on the topic if someone doesn't respond to it on this one.

I prefer the Unjury brand to be honest.  Bariatric Advantage is decent but I found it pricey.  They also recommend two scoops for 41g of protein, but I recently learned we don't absorb more than 25g at a time so anything over that is best divided into multiple servings.  

I also like Isopure no carb ready to drink - it counts as both fluid and protein.  A half bottle (10 oz) has 20g of protein and it comes in six different flavors.  My favorite is the Alpine Punch (red).  

Good luck.  
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 2:30 pm - OH
Here's the trick for mixing it in hot liquids like tea or soup or something.

Put an ouce or two of room temp water in a cup and stir in a scoop of protein powder to make a paste.  Then stir that paste into your hot liquid.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pawprints2
on 3/23/11 9:01 pm - Spring Arbor, MI
I mix my unflavored protein in my cofffee every morning. I make a loose paste before adding and it doesn't clump at all. I do however use a sugarfree flavored creamer also as there is a slight taste to the mix. I buy mine at GNC and they are pretty reasonable on their price. It is on sale when I buy mine and I bought a gold card. If you go into the store the first week of every month, they give you 20% off on anything you buy. My card paid for itself the first purchase.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/11 10:03 pm - OH
As long as the primary protein (listed first) is "whey" (even if it does not say "isolate"), you are fine.  The isolate absorbs better, apparently, but as long as it is whey-based, you will be fine.  I still use unflavored or vanilla protein powder added to SF hot chocolate almost every morning except during the very hot summer months.

I have never seen a protein powder that looks like brown sugar, so I ahve no idea what it is or what it tastes like.  Yes, you can mix unflavored protein powder into lots of things, but try a small amount first because some unflavored proteins have a slightly sweet taste to them which can completely ruin the taste of something savory (like soup)!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DeterminedE
on 3/23/11 10:26 pm
I enjoy Jay Robb's strawberry flavored whey protein.  I mix it with skim milk.  33 oz of protein in one drink. 
adamsamah
on 3/24/11 12:07 am - Nixa, MO
Can someone point me to the scientific research that proves we can only absorb 23-25 grams of protein per serving? I cannot find it anywhere.
Thanks,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

Most Active
Recent Topics