On track/not on track Please help

kkaymathis
on 3/25/11 1:45 am - College Station, TX
Ok. I did not lose 60 pounds in three months as I was told I should have. Instead I have lost 48 pounds. Should I continue to relentlessly push myself to lose on schedule.

Schedule
0-3months-60
4-6months-45

Then it slows down after that of course. I feel like I have a major set back. What are the "schedules" you have? Set by your doctors or yourself?
If you want to be happy for life, love what you do.
Mary Higgins Clark

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/11 2:09 am - Baltimore, MD
The amount of weight you lose is an ESTIMATE. If you are following the rules then your body will do what it is supposed to do.

I would invest time tracking whether you are being compliant (eating your required amount of calories, exercising frequently, getting enough water, sleep, vitamins, etc.) rather than how much weight you're losing. That'll drive you nuts and you are not 100% in control of your final result.

Just my two cents. I know it's hard not to do that, but for your own mental peace you might need to step away from the scale.
kkaymathis
on 3/25/11 4:03 am - College Station, TX
I usually weigh at the docs because his scale is the one that really counts. I was told from his office that I missed my mark. I was also told that I wouldn't make my goal if there is where I am now. I just want to make sure that my surgery will not be a failure.
Mary Higgins Clark

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/11 5:30 am - Baltimore, MD
What a horrible message for them to send to you! That ****** me off.

No, your surgery won't be a failure. There are about a cabillion factors that affect your weight loss. No one can predict how you'll lose. Keep at it. You're doing great things for yourself.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Pam T.
on 3/25/11 5:40 am - Saginaw, MI
By the way --- your surgeon's office scale IS NOT the only one that counts. YOU get to pick the scale that counts. If it's the one at your house, then that's the one that is officially your's. Your surgeon's office scale won't give you a true picture of how much you weigh because it's mid-day, after you've eaten/drank and you're also wearing clothes. Plus you're weighing at all different times of the day and week. 

A better method is to use your own scale and choose one specific weigh-in time. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, so I weigh every Tuesday morning as soon as I get out of bed -- before I get dressed but after I pee. That way I'm on the same playing field at every weigh-in. My Tuesday morning weight is the only official weight that I write down in my own weight chart. Any other weigh-ins don't mean diddly. Including my surgeon's scale. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

kkaymathis
on 3/28/11 2:37 am - College Station, TX
This is a great idea. I thought since thier scale was what was recorded that anything else was did not count. Thanks for the insight.
Mary Higgins Clark

CarrieF
on 3/25/11 2:34 am

It looks like we had our surgeries around the same time.  I had mine on 12/15/10 a revision from a lapband.  I have lost 48 pounds as well.  I am feeling the same way, but much better now that I have seen you are tracking close to what I am.  At my last check up - two weeks ago I was down 44% of my total excess weight, and the Baratric nurse told me that I was above the average weight loss.  So feel good about what we have accomplished.  I am doing all the right things- diet, getting enough protien, water and exercise. 

I am finding that my body has stayed at the same weight for three weeks which is frusteruating.  How about you? The nurse told me that it is too early to be at a pleateau and that I should stop weighing myself everyday (only to do that during maintence) because I am going to drive myself nuts.  I have cut down on getting on the scale which is hard, but I have only done it twice this week.  She did say that my body will do this and then drop 6 - 10 lbs in a week.  Has anyone else expirenced this?

Hang in there....

kkaymathis
on 3/25/11 3:57 am - College Station, TX
That  has been my norm. I wonder if that is something that happens to revision patients. I am a lapband to RNY. I'll keep working and waiting. Thanks for the input!
Mary Higgins Clark

Pam T.
on 3/25/11 5:45 am - Saginaw, MI
 Oh shoot! I didn't realize you were a revision patient (I should pay closer attention!). Unfortunately that's another strike against the scale. Most people who go from band to bypass will see a slower-than-normal weight loss and it might take them a bit longer to get all the way to goal. But that doesn't mean you'll never get there, it just means it'll take a bit longer. 

Keep your chin up. You're doing awesome. Don't let idiots at your surgeon's office get you down. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Lady Lithia
on 3/28/11 3:51 am
I agree with Pam, the idiots at your WLS office just ...well they're idiots!

You're a revision, so you are supposed to lose slower, right? Well you are TWO pounds behind where I was and I had more to lose than you on the day of surgery! (we're supposed to lose faster).... I consider my loss average and a bit slow on the tail end..... but I got to goal and I'm still there

Month three down 50 pounds
by Month 6 down 70 poiunds (exactly 50% excess weight) 
Month 12 I was down 108 pounds and though I was 31 pounds from goal, I thought I was DONE

Month 18 I lost more and got to goal for a microsecond but was mostly about 10 pounds above goal

Month 29, got to goal and have been consistently below goal by up to 8 pounds. (right now above goal, but I'm recuperating from surgery so it doesn't count)

You'll do fine..... and just think YOU are going to gani weight, but they probably won't get any smarter or nicer, so you're the one who is going to improve, not them.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 232 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 236 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 11 replies · 58 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 131 views