food doesn't taste good

rhayes1026
on 3/27/11 10:16 am - Westland, MI
I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. I am 3 months post op and get no satisfaction eating..nothing taste good i just eat things because i have to. If i have a craving for something it never taste good. A couple times something has tasted good but it never does the 2nd time..it to the pt where i cant even stand eating. I dont miss food that was bad for me either so i know it isnt that i just what unhealthy stuff. Anyone else going thru this and does it get better?

Robin

nfarris79
on 3/27/11 10:42 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm not post op yet but that's sounding alot like "head hunger" when you talk about craving stuff but reality isn't measuring up to what you'd imagined it would. Sounds very normal and I'm sure lots of vets to this Forum would say enjoy this honeymoon from food, just be sure to get in what you must (water, protein,vitamins). Go easy on yourself!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

rhayes1026
on 3/27/11 10:50 am - Westland, MI
Hi,I have only craved things a few times so i don't think it is head hunger. I am not even wanting bad food..i just don't want food. I heard your taste changes after surgery just didn't think it would be everything i eat lol

Robin

Hvhmom
on 3/27/11 11:19 am, edited 3/27/11 11:47 am - raleigh, NC
I am so with you Robin.  I am nearly 5 weeks post op and EVERYTHING that I put into my mouth taste poorly.   I could NOT wait to try some of my favorite foods post op and when I did and do, YUK!  At times, the first small bite is good but every bite afterwards is unpleasant.  I dread getting hungry now because I know that most things will taste dreadful.   Juice still taste good to me even if it's watered down.   I hope things improve a bit because I am barely getting in 500 calories total per day.  My saving grace is that I only eat protein laden foods.

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
rhayes1026
on 3/27/11 11:26 am - Westland, MI
I am the same way i only like juice and i was told i couldn't have it..ugh... well besides sugar free popsicles but only having 3 flavors and never cared for those flavors to begin with isn't helping me lol I sure hope it gets better and i enjoy some kind of food again.

Robin

christinew38
on 3/27/11 11:35 am - macon, GA
I am experiencing the same thing and I am only 2 weeks out. Nothing tastes good, not even water. I guess my tastebuds are changing. I am trying to get my protein down but it makes me nauseous. I dont know what else to do. I do go on soft foods Monday, but Im not sure if thats gonna help either.
Mz.Officer on her way to a new person.......    
My Angel is Lynne     
rhayes1026
on 3/27/11 11:41 am - Westland, MI
I thank god I didnt have a lot of nausea with it in the beginning. I do get more nausea now though that i am eating diff foods. I used to enjoy lean cuisines before the surgery and can't even stand those but eat them anyways cause i have to eat. Thanks alot ladies for letting me know that I am not alone on this. I hope we all start getting better soon

Robin

rayjack12
on 3/27/11 11:44 am
Hey girl, its been a while since we have talked!  I hope you are doing well.

I will say, in the beginning, I was definitely like that.  It took a couple of months to get back to "normal".  Even now, though, food doesn't hold the same value that it did before.  I am eating because I have to and not because I want or need to.  I eat more now because I work out pretty hard and I know if I don't eat I won't lose...or at least not as well.

Since we had surgery the same day, I can't say for sure...but I would assume it gets better.
rhayes1026
on 3/27/11 12:10 pm - Westland, MI
I am glad you are doing good. I still can't work out have had severe fatigue since 3 weeks post op..ugh. All my vitamins are normal. I am losing weight slow and in spirts, extremely frustrating.

Robin

lk7777
on 3/27/11 12:13 pm - Blue Springs, MO
same here 6 wks out, nothing tastes the same
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??