Unsure which surgery to get, HELP!

jennay80
on 4/9/11 9:40 am - Elmore, OH
 Hello to all of you,

About me:  5'9"  274   Been overweight most my life but never obese until 5 years ago when my hip got so bad and I was pregnant to boot.  There have been long period from age 17-25 where I stayed slender.

I have EVERYTHING done that insurance requires and now just need to know what surgery to have.  I came into all of this wanting the sleeve, and my insurance covers it, so I figured, cool!  I didn't want the RNY because it sounds scary to me with them bypassing things and so forth.  Also, having to take meds the rest of my life.  I already dump after eating donuts and pancakes so I am used to that (belly hurts quickly and I have to use the bathroom, think that's dumping?I already have gas so that part isn't too bad.  I believe it is a whole extra day in the hospital too?  3 days?  So those are the reasons I don't want the RNY.

Why I am scared to get the sleeve?  Because I was born with a bad hip.  I have had 3 surgeries and 3 years ago I received a new hip.  I am still, at times, in constant pain with my hip where I won't even go to the store because it just hurts.  Exercise is very much limited many times.  So, I am scared of failing the sleeve.  I want to do this right, the first time!  

With knowing that, and your own experience/knowledge, please give me your opinions.  Time is coming very soon and I need to make the right choice.

Thanks so much to all who will help me, anything you know and want to tell me will help!
johnsoca
on 4/9/11 10:07 am - Madison, AL
Do you take anti-inflammatories and pain meds for your hip problem? NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) are on the ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE list after RNY surgery. You can still take them if you have the sleeve. I think for your particular issue you want to make sure that whatever surgery you have won't cause you additional problems with your hip condition. This is something you should discuss with your bariatric surgeon, and possibly your orthopedic doc.

Some of the information you have on the RNY isn't necessarily true. Only about 30% of RNY patients dump. (What you experience after eating donuts isn't dumping.) Gas isn't necessarily any worse after RNY than before. You do have to take vitamins for life, but unless you have some other condition that requires medication, that's it. Most docs recommend that all of their patients take a multi-vitamin and calcium daily anyway.  I was only in the hospital with my RNY overnight, but it seems like most folks stay two nights.

Most importantly, what does your surgeon recommend for you? Your surgeon knows your medical history and can make a much better recommendation for you than any of us here!

jennay80
on 4/9/11 10:17 am - Elmore, OH
 Wow, 800 mg of Motrin is what I take often, so glad you brought that up.  The doc knows about my hip and still said the RNY is best because of my lack of exercising.  Perhaps he would just get paid more to do the RNY?  

Wish I knew more people who have had the sleeve, years out, and how their doing.  Research is the thing I need to make time for.  Thanks for bringing up such a good point!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/11 12:03 pm - OH
Unfortunately there just isn;t a lot of long-term data on the sleeve.  (I have a client who has been researching it heavily becasue she needs to decide which surgery to have.)  Please do NOT underestimate the impact of not being able to take NSAIDS if you opt for the RNY.  NSAIDs are in so many OTC products, and RNYers are pretty much limited to Tylenol or prescription meds for pain. 

Keep in mind that the caloric and fat malabsorption of the RNY is only good for about 12-18 months, and that after that all you will have is the small pouch (instead of your old stomach) and --presumably -- your new, healthier eating habits to keep you from regain... so, in other words, the same thing you would have with the sleeve... but with the sleeve there is no NSAID restriction, no possibility of dumping, and no malabsorption of vitamins (which, unlike the caloric malabsorption, is permanent with the RNY).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jokenaround
on 4/9/11 12:35 pm
And hopefully no diabetes with the RNY!!!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 302 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views