Changed my goal weight

RoniO
on 4/23/11 2:12 am - Rockford, IL

I thought a goal of normal BMI  (well, 24.9) was appropriate until my weight settled at a BMI of 33, still obese dammit! So I remind myself that at least Im no longer SMO and I should appreciate how far I have come. Ive always been obese and recall weighing 225 when I was 18 years old so a normal BMI just may not be realistic for my body.  Im going to aim for "overweight:" and try for 180 with a BMI of 29.

seattledeb
on 4/23/11 3:43 am
My BMI is 29.
You got to be comfortable where you are.
Congrats on your success.
Also..the BMI charts are kinda screwed up.
Deb T.

SugarGrl
on 4/23/11 3:56 am
I'm one day short of a month post-op and I'm still trying to figure out what a good BMI/goal weight for me should be.  I put down 105 for weight but everyone is telling me that is too small. I'm only 4'11.  I guess when I get closer too, I can readjust.  I think you need to choose what is good for you and where you feel comfortable at.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Lady Lithia
on 4/23/11 4:15 am
I reached a BMI of 32 at one year out from surgery.... I was sure I was done, but I was pretty happy

Then I started losing again at 18 months out and got to a BMI of 29 and thought I was done and I weas happy

Then I started losing weight at 29 months, and I got to goal which was a BMI of 27...and I dropped down to a BMI of 25 and was happy

Now I fluctuate between a BMI of 25 and 26

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Laura in Texas
on 4/23/11 4:21 am
My doctor's goal for me was to have BMI under 30.  Good for you for knowing our bodies react differently and seem to settle where they want to.  Keep following the rules and you will get there!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/23/11 5:27 am - OH
I think that's awesome.  As the others have said, not everyone was given a body that was "meant" to be a certain size or weight.  My surgeon refuses to give ANY of her patients a goal weight or even to speculate where they might end up for this very reason!  For some of us, a normal BMI or a single-digit size just isn't realistic and we gain nothing by torturing ourselves about the bodies we WISH we had! 

Trust me on this, because I am almost 4 years out and still have days when I struggle with disappointment that my weight is not 10 pounds lower and that I cannot wear a size 8.  It seems ridiculous to me that I am critical of myself for not being a size 8 when what I *did* do was go from over 330 pounds to just either side of 150... from a size 28 or 4XL (my pre-op jeans were a size 30!) to a 10/12 and a M or L (larger tops, smaller bottoms)... and from a BMI of almost 57 to one that that swings from just barely "overweight" to just barely "normal"  (I am right on the "25" line)!  Good for you for not falling into the mental "trap" that snared me!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Rebecca G.
on 4/23/11 9:53 am - Wilmington, NC
I think your goal should be a weight where you're comfortable. I'm 8 pounds over my goal (I changed my goal to 150 from 140 which was my original goal) and I'm ok with that. I doubt I'll lose that last 8 pounds before my TT, arm lift, and boob job and I'm ok with that. Just aim for being happy with yourself!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 223 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?