Strictures?

shannon0731
on 4/24/11 10:16 pm - LA
I was talking to my boyfriend's mom (whose son, husband, and graddaughter have had lap band and sleeve surgery) and while she was so supportative of my descision, she is conserned becasue her daughte ri law had by pass and sufered with strictures. Is there ways to lessen the chances of this happening?  It is between bypass and sleeve, and leaning more toward bypass since I am diabetic  and was told by MD there is  moreof a  success rate with getting off insulin with bypass) but now am a little concerned. I gather this is a problem that results in lots of nausea and vomotting. Any insight would be very helpful!
soldierzgirl36
on 4/24/11 11:35 pm - WA
Might as well go with the bypass. I had rny and I am off all meds. I was diabetic also. They can be trouble with the sleeve as well. A girl in our support group had the sleeve and she had another surgery just a few weeks later on it cause it kinda bent and had a kink in it and is having to get a bypass now. So, sleeve can have its own complications as well. As for strictures, not everyone has that problem, I havent so far thank god, but not to say it wont ever happen i guess..

SOLDIERZGIRL

Lady Lithia
on 4/24/11 11:43 pm
Strictures usually happen to between 11 and 26% who have the RNY

So 74% don't get them

Of those who get them, MOST of those individuals have one quick trip to the hospital, a brief procedure with conscious sedation, and feel better.

A few unlucky individuals have to go back a couple of times

in extremely rare cases they are really a huge pain.... but that's probably less than one in five thousand who have really bad problems with strictures.

If your body is going to develop one it will... you can't stop it.

I haven't had one.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

nfarris79
on 4/24/11 11:44 pm - Germantown, MD
 Strictures aren't a given - so not everyone will develop them. For my understanding, they're easily treated. Outpatient dilation, where they guide a tube down the throat and inflate a little balloon to open the stricture. 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

jkjstars123
on 4/25/11 12:38 am - Tama, IA
I have had 5 strictures but that was unusual for most people. The procedure to fix them are really pretty simple and I really looked forward to them so I could eat. This roadblock would not have stopped me from having the bypass.
There are complications for each of the types of surgeries so you just need to decide what is best for you.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Michelle L.
on 4/25/11 12:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had a stricture fixed a few weeks ago. It was not a big deal at all. I vomited a few times before it was fixed, and I'd get a really tight feeling my chest after eating just a little bit, so that's how I could tell I had one. No vomiting since, and no chest tightness. I still think my RNY was 100% worth it.

Sandy_B
on 4/25/11 1:02 am - Bakersville, NC
I wasn't diabetic before RNY but I was a year out...it lasted about a year and now I don't have it...

Sandy

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??