Am I drinking too much water?

Neil_from_PA
on 5/12/11 7:55 am - PA
Hey all. Surgery was May 2nd. down about 15 pounds. Now slowing to one or two a day. Ending week one of liquid diet. I'm concerned that i may be drinking too much. I was at the Y the other day and out of ha*****uuged a half bottle of h2o. No pain ensued. My nut says to sip. using a timer to time a shot of water every 10 - 15 minutes it helps

Also, the first sip of water in the am is hard. I 've heard that reffered to as "opening the pouch" is this true?. What are some of your experiences with water consumption?
thanks! Neil
( and yes I tried to search the forums but no useful results)
Neil...
waitinggame
on 5/12/11 8:03 am - Bowie, MD
Hello. Congrats on your surgery. I hate the OH search feature--virtually useless.

I totally get the habit thing, but I'd try to be mindful because you never know which time it's going to hurt like hell! Maybe it won't, but I'd say no reason to risk it if you can avoid it. I'm a couple years out and can take several large gulps without a problem. Now morning time is an entirely different story. To this day I cannot drink water first thing in the morning. I have to drink something warm or it makes me nauseated. And if I add anything to the water at all, crystal light, mio, lemon, anything, I don't have a problem. Weird.

Congrats on your success thus far and much continued success to you!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Neil_from_PA
on 5/12/11 8:49 am, edited 5/12/11 8:49 am - PA
Thanks Denise !
(edit sp)

Neil...
waitinggame
on 5/12/11 8:55 am - Bowie, MD
You are welcome. And no worries on the spelling--when I type too fast, I often sign my name Dense by accident! And since I am dense, it is fitting, but I'm not really wanting to advertise it!!

Take care!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Amber J.
on 5/12/11 8:16 am - Kirkland, WA
 I agree. I can't drink water at all first thing in the morning. It will make me throw up. I usually have a cup of warm tea to help wake my pouch up for the day. It's a lot easier for me to eat after that too.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Neil_from_PA
on 5/12/11 9:03 am - PA
Thanks Amber..looking fwd to decaf coffee soon..
Neil...
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/12/11 8:21 am - OH
I have never heard the phrase "opening the pouch", and don't quite understand it since your pouch never "closes" (just like your original stomach).

A lot of people have NO problem drinking water right after surgery.  They tell you to sip because thsoe who DO find us uncomforatble to drink can tolerate sipping). That's one of thooe instances where the people who DO have trouble post about it so newbies think that they SHOULD have trouble!  If the amount you are drinking does not cause pain (and you are not drinking it so fast that it backs up into the esophagus), it is not a problem!

Plain water made me queasy right after surgery, but flavored waters were better, adn I never had any pain or any other problem with drinking a couple of ounces at a time. Personally -- and this is just me, based on the info from MY surgeon -- I think that setting a timer and taking one sip every so many minutes is just ridiculous unless someone finds that sipping normally is problematic (I also think it contributes to the myth that the pouch is some ultra-fragile thing that must be ever-so-carefully coddled for weeks on end).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Neil_from_PA
on 5/12/11 9:00 am - PA
Thanks Lora !! Its just a phrase i heard from my Nut @ university of Penn. I think she has heard from a lot of folks the  the first sip of the day bothers some folks. You are correct it does not close !

I love your comments about the pouch. ( song in background = This little pouch of mine....I'm gonna let it shine...). I did leave the hospital a bit paranoid about it...and yeah I'm off the timer !!!. 

BTW my protien shakes do go slower and I'm not drinking 30 min before or after them.
Neil...
Bill O.
on 5/12/11 8:43 am - NC
 4 days out and I have no issues with drinking water at all.  I can tell when to stop though, almost a backing up feeling.  I was told by my surgeon drink as much as is comfortable.  He also has me drinking the protein shakes already.  Today was a decent day.  ~70 gms protein and 50 oz of water and still have a few hours left before bed time.  
Neil_from_PA
on 5/12/11 9:02 am - PA
Thank you!...interesting the diffrent things we hear..my nut say to match protein to liquid 1 for 1. If I have 70 grms protein I need 70 oz h20
Neil...
Most Active
Recent Topics