(a little over) 5 months post op

elaynew
on 5/17/11 8:29 am - Mohegan Lake, NY
Hello all - I had my RNY 12/9/10.  I am about 24 weeks post op and I am at 97.6 lbs lost.  I don't really know where I stand.  I am getting in between 60-80 grams of protein a day and between 600-800 calories.  I don't know if that is too much or too little - the nutritionist always focused on protein and never really said anything about calories or fat or anything.  I am trying to increase my exercise also - I don't get nearly enough.  Maybe an hour a week - I know I know - it's necessary to get in at least 4 hours but it's hard with a 16 month old son lol.  

Is there anyone else around with similar surgery date?  How are you doing?

Affinity4life2010
on 5/17/11 8:41 am - Rogue River, OR
I had my surgery on the 28th of December. I'm down about 75 lbs but stalled out for almost the last three weeks then had a sudden 5 lb drop.  I haven't been paying too much attention to calories but probably should. I still struggle with protein as my surgeon asked me to discontinue ALL protein shakes and get my protein in through food alone. I'm not exercsing like I should either but am planning on daily walks as the weather is improving here in Oregon...

cmcd1070
on 5/17/11 9:06 am - denver, CO
Wow, 97 lbs down at 24 weeks sounds pretty impressive to me! I should hope to be doing as well when I reach that time out from surgery! I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice because I'm only a couple of months out from surgery but it seems at nearly 100lbs lost that you must be doing something very right!! Do you feel good?

Sunshine1965
on 5/17/11 9:07 am
I had RNY on 4/26.  That is a great loss.  I think that my nutritionist said 60 gr. of protein and between 800 -1000 calories.  I am just now at Phase 3 in my diet.  I have been walking on my treadmill 15 minutes in the Am and 15 at PM.  Any advice?
ahmerzrealm
on 5/17/11 9:46 am - Naperville, IL
As I am learning the hard way .. stay on top of your vitamins and supplements. Drink plenlty of water. Exceed 64oz if you can. I am suffering from muscle pain and excessive fatigue. I am seeing the surgeon in two weeks, but i am pretty sure its D3. 

keep up the work on the treadmill. I started at 15 mins on the ellipitcal and in about 6 weeks i was at one hour a day. Slow and steady wins the race  !!!
ahmerzrealm
on 5/17/11 9:43 am - Naperville, IL
I had mines on 12/21/10 and I have only lost 60 lbs. You are a trooper !! I think you are doing simply fantastic ! My surgeon advised to stay under 800 calories, so I think you are fine on that. Your protein is also good.

As long as your doctor says you are in the clear I wouldnt worry about a thing
jenni93
on 5/17/11 11:40 am
Hi Elayne:

I had my surgery 5 days after you and feel fabulous.  I'm still struggling to reach my protein goal - most days I'm getting only 50-60g since I can't tolerate those shakes any more and I still have trouble eating enough.  Otherwise, I feel well, and I'm loving sliding into smaller and smaller size clothes.  I haven't had your stupendous weight loss, but I'm happy with the 81 lbs. I've shed.  It's still coming off steadily.  Like you, I'm working on getting more exercise in.  I don't have the "baby" excuse (mine are 18, 21, and 24), but I do work full time and have a 1-hour commute each way, each day, so that's my excuse (and I'm stickin' to it . . .)  It's great to hear about your progress!  Keep up the good work, and keep on postin' about it!
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

smilz
on 5/17/11 12:18 pm
Hi this is just the post I needed to see tonight...I have been in a slump...but Im trying my best to get everything back on track...I just wanted to put my two cents in...I had surgery about a week before you elaynew and I am down 94 lbs...so we are pretty close in that dept...now protein thats a whole different story...i know im not getting close to 80 grams...on a good day maybe 50..and i know im not drinking enough fluids...ughh never thought it would be difficult to drink 60+ ounces of fluid in a day..lol

But as I said this is exactly what I needed cuz I have truely felt that I am not doing that great with my weight loss...although I am thrilled to be down almost 100 lbs...and I feel soo much better..I just feel that maybe I should of lost more so far..but I truely try not to dwell on it and hope that it will all come off in the end..

Best of luck ....and keep up the great work everyone...

Tara
penguingirl
on 5/17/11 12:37 pm
I had my surgery 12/27/10, a couple weeks after you and I'm doing about the same.  Down 94 pounds....60-80 grams of protein a day, but closer to 1000 in calories.  My nutritionist also focused more on protein and wants more fiber.  She saw I was losing at a steady pace and said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I've only been getting an hour in a week, too, for the past couple of weeks.  Even on my best weeks I was only getting in 3 hours.  It is difficult to make that change into incorporating exercise as a regular habit.  The food modification has been much easier! 

I am thrilled to have lost this much this soon....I never ever imagined it would happen this fast.  I worry that it'll abruptly stop any day and I'll never get the other 70 pounds off, but that's because this has all been so hard to believe.  It feels like a dream.  I have never felt better---it's hard to imagine it getting even better than this.  (How sad at 275 pounds. )
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." ~ Henry Ford            5'11"  HW 369/SW 353/GW 209    
FunBrain
on 5/17/11 1:25 pm
 Honey you are doing FANTASTIC!  Dont be so hard on yourself.  I had my RNY on 12/06/10 and I am down 61 lbs.  I started out at 227lbs.  I get what my NUT recommended in protein... 50 grams.  As far as calories, I dont keep up.  Im going to guess around 700.  Im with you on the exercise, I need to increase mine.  I walk a couple times a week and sit in the sauna.

Your doing great...keep it up!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics