6 1/5 years out Gaining out of control!!! advise please????

mimi51576
on 5/21/11 3:47 am - St Paul, MN
Ok so I was fairly proud of my self up until year 5. I lost my father and my teen age boys became out of control. My doctor placed me on anti-depressants and I've gained 30 pound over my acceptance level... I need HELP I'm lost and need to lose this weight!! my doctor gave me this diet pill called Phentermine which is nice but not cutting it. I just became engaged and refuse to marry like this, also I now live in another state where the doctors are not to keen to working wih other RNY clients than their own??  ANY TIP?
walterswife
on 5/21/11 4:21 am
Sorry you have been having a rough time.  I think it would be a good idea if you could get with a dietitian from one of the bariatric surgery practices.  Many of those dietitians work for the hospital and/or have their own practices away from the clinics.

Also you might want to ask for suggestions on the state form regarding any surgeons who do treat patients who have been operated on my someone else.

You should also look into attending some support groups on your area.

Finally perhaps you can locate a WLS friendly PCP as you will still need someone to follow up with for your labs.

30 lbs. is really not all that bad if you try to get it under control now.  Best to you.  I hope things work out.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

flyingwoman
on 5/21/11 9:03 am
I'm no vet, but the answer I awlys see from them in these calls for help is:

Back to basics. Measure everything, protein first, cut the refined carbs, go back to how you were eating at six or eight months out. Eat slowly and mindfully like you did when you were a new post-op and put everything else aside.

I'd also add: find strategies to de-stress. If you are bringing it up here as a contributing cause to your weight gain, you are engaging in emotional eating. Find other ways to cope with stress: meditation, exercise, therapy, whatever it takes to divorce the stress of your life from what goes into your mouth.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/11 9:33 am - OH
Sorry to hear that you are struggling with re-gain.  

My "tip" would be to tell you that you already have the best weight loss tool available if you utilize it to the fullest.  Go back to basics (but I do not mean going back to liquids or fad diets like the 5 Day Pouch "Test".) 

First, go back to small, measured portions. (I bet you will be surprised by how small 4 ounces of protein is or how small 1 - 1.5 cups of total food per meal is! I know from personal experience that it is SO easy -- when we're more than a couple of years out -- to start eating more than we NEED to just because we CAN.)

Second, go back to eating protein first always, limiting simple carbs, and drinking a lot of water between meals.  Try to eat dense proteins as much as possible to stay full as long as possible.

Third, eliminate any bad habits you have let creep back in.  Drinking with meals again, for example, is one of the things that is VERY common to people who have expereinced regain.  

Finally, try to be more active, even if it is not formal exercise... just move your body more... park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, take a 15-minute walk every day, etc.

You can do this!  There are a number of us here who are 3+ years out who have gained 5 - 10 pounds and have followed the steps above to get those couple of pounds back off.  (I have  a self-imposed 5-pound weight gain limit (to allow for water weight gain) and have done this twice when I have exceeded that 5 pounds.  Both times I was able to get those 5-6 pounds back off relatively quickly... in about 2 weeks.) 

Let us know how we can help support you...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jayndi
on 5/21/11 1:55 pm
My 7 year anniversary was in April.  I had gained quite a bit of weight during two pregnancies and I was finding it hard to get it off.  In January, I started faithfully recording my food, I set small goals for myself (only 5 lbs at a time).  I Wrote my goals down and log when I met them.  I cut way down on carbs and watched my portions.  I really noticed more restriction coming back and I even started being affected by carbs and sugar again.  I started to think I had no "tool" left, but it's really came through for me again.  Once things slow down or I get bored with what I'm doing, I try to change it up a bit.  I walk 3 miles a few times a week.  So far I've lost 45 lbs!  I still have a ways to go but I'm doing it and I'm realizing it can be done.  I have finally convinced myself that I am worth it and I am not giving up this time!  If you are not happy with how things are- change it!  Get your mind in the right place- know that you can do it!  Take it one day at a time.  Dont think about how much you have ahead of you or how long it will take, just keep those short term goals in mind.  Once you start seeing results you will be even more motivated!  Good luck- you can do this!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 3 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 336 views