Vitamins - chewable

Kim26
on 5/25/11 8:10 am
I just had my follow-up appt. number two today and in talking with the nurse she told me about these chewable vitamins available at Walgreen's, so I wanted to share.  She said that one of her patients told her about them, and all of this peron's labs have been REALLY good.  She advised to take 2 in morning and 2 at night....and then just some extra Vit. D because my level is so low.

She wrote the prescription for them so I can use my Flexible Spending card to purchase them.

Thoughts from the Vitamin Guru's??

OptiSource Post Bariatric Surgery Formula Chewable Citrus Tablets Citrus Tablets

Ingredients
Sugar , Calcium Carbonate , Dextrose , Dicalcium Phosphate , Magnesium Oxide , D,L-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate , Gelatin , Natural and Artificial Flavors , Starch , Citric Acid , Yellow #6 Lake , Magnesium Stearate , Ferrous Fumarate , Talc , Silicon Dioxide , Mono & Diglycerides , Zinc Oxide , Ascorbic Acid , Sodium Ascorbate , Aspartame , Niacinamide , Sodium Hexametaphosphate , Calcium Pantothenate , Manganese Sulfate , Hydrogenated and Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil , Acacia , Vitamin A Acetate , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Cupric Oxide , Sorbic Acid , Riboflavin , Thiamine Mononitrate , Sodium Benzoate , Folic Acid , Cyanocobalamin , Coconut Oil , Lactose , Chromium Chloride , Biotin , Phytonadione , BHT , Potassium Iodide , Sodium Selenate , Sodium Molybdate , Calcium Stearate , Cholecalciferol , D,L-Alpha Tocopherol

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size : 1 Tablet
  Calories : 5
Amount Per Serving % Daily value*
Sugars1.0g    
Calories5.0calories    
Total Carbohydrate1.0g 1.0  
Vitamin A1875.0IU 37.0  
Vitamin C15.0mg 25.0  
Vitamin D100.0IU 25.0  
Vitamin E125.0IU 417.0  
Vitamin K40.0mcg 50.0  
Thiamin375.0mcg 25.0  
Riboflavin425.0mcg 25.0  
Niacin5.0mg 25.0  
Vitamin B6500.0mcg 25.0  
Folic Acid200.0mcg 50.0  
Vitamin B12125.0mcg 2083.0  
Biotin75.0mcg 25.0  
Pantothenic Acid2.5mg 25.0  
Calcium250.0mg 25.0  
Iron7.5mg 42.0  
Phosphorus50.0mg 5.0  
Iodine37.5mcg 25.0  
Magnesium100.0mg 25.0  
Zinc7.5mg 50.0  
Selenium17.5mcg 25.0  
Copper0.5mg 25.0  
Manganese0.5mg 25.0  
Chromium30.0mcg 25.0  
Molybdenum18.75mcg 25.0  
Sodium5.0mg 1.0

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
ahmerzrealm
on 5/25/11 9:08 am - Naperville, IL
OptiSource can get expensive in the long run because if I am not mistaking you have to take 4 tablets  per day wheras a decent vitamin (such as the one from Celebrate) will give you more nutrition than Optisource in just 2 tablets.

I found two other things unappealing about OptiSource. They use sugar . And they use Calcium Carbonate. We do not absorb calcium carbonate as well. We should always use Calcium Citrate as that is what we absorb best.  Why would they use calcium carbonate when this product is supposed to geared towards bariatric patients? Beats me. It just makes me think they didnt put a lot of thought into producing this product.

My verdict is that Optisource is a  good vitamin. Celebrate Multivitamins are a much better vitamin.

When you take vitamin D  make sure it s D3 and is in the dry form (not the softgels commonly found). We cannot absorbe the oil in the softgels properly. That is why its important to get the dry form.  I take D3 tablets 10,000 IU per day. I have found that many forum members do the same.
However, check with your NUT or doctor to find out how much to take.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/25/11 9:28 am
You will need to also take calcium citrate if you choose these.  Calcium carbonate is not good.

Winnie

godsend213
on 5/25/11 9:34 am - Fort Carson, CO
I have been taking these since day one. They are fantastic. I showed them to my doctor and he was VERY surprised. He approved them and my labs have been great since. He said no need to take anything extra and they taste pretty good. :) 

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Kim26
on 5/25/11 9:48 am
That is awesome!  Do you do not take any other calcium?  The nurse at my Dr.'s office said the person who told her about these has had great lab results.  I am going to try them and see.  I will do 4 per day and see what my next blood draw looks like.  Thank you!! :)

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Bootssie
on 5/25/11 9:44 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
Looks to me like you would need to take EIGHT of them a day to get the 200% requirements in like we are supposed to. I would just do Celebrate or even Centrum over there.
Kim26
on 5/25/11 9:46 am
I hear what you guys are saying - the calcium citrate is what we need and not the carbonate but it's really weird that almost every review I had read on Walgreens.com and Drugstore.com people have said that their blood tests show good levels for years! It's strange! Is calcium something that is tested in the blood draws?

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Bootssie
on 5/25/11 9:57 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
We don't have the same digestive system that those people do that are reviewing them.  They probably CAN absorb carbonate.  We can't.  You can never go by other people's requirements again.  You have a list to start right after post op and then you should base further supplements on your labs.  Be sure to track your labs because while they may show in the normal range, they could be going down each time.  Unless you track them, you won't know.

Kim26
on 5/25/11 11:07 am
Thanks for the feedback.  The reviews that I am reading are from people who have had gastric bypass, as this is a bariatric vitamin. I get that we are not supposed to be able to absorb carbonate, but there are pages and pages of good reviews from RNY patients.

I will give them a try and see what happens. I will do some research because maybe calcium is not tested by blood? So maybe the good results they are talking about are iron, etc.

Just some of the reviews in colors below from Drugstore.com and Walgreens...

had gastric bypass in April 2006 and have been taking Optisource since my surgery and all my vitamin levels have been fine. I'll continue to take this product for life.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Prior to my surgery, my bloodwork showed that I was low or deficient on many of my vitamins - I took a daily multi-vitamin at the time. Now, post-surgery, I chew 4 of these a day and my bloodwork is great - I have even been able to donate blood for the first time in my life - I never could before because my iron level was low.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

I didnt use these vitamjns in the beginning and I started have level issues. So I decided to try it and I found my levels went up and I feel alot better not so tired all the time. I had my surgey in 2004 and lost 130 pounds . I highly reccommend these vitamins

Five years post gastric bypass and weight down 230 lbs with perfect labs. I did need to increase my Vit D due to my age, but recommend to all my bypass friends.

after three years of having the gAstric bypass surgery and taking this product my lab works have been perfect

All my labs are normal 1 year post op roux-n-y gastric bypass. It tastes good, so I consider this my vitamin for the rest of my (now only overweight and not morbidly obese) life!!

I was recommended these vitamins after having gastric bypass surgery and still 5 years later it's the best source of energy I can have and my blood work always comes back remarkable. I recommended this to a friend that was anemic and she's doing great.

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Bootssie
on 5/25/11 11:23 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
Sadly, not all WLS patients...or surgeons or NUT's for that matter...understand what we require after surgery.  It's a choice everyone must make for themselves.  Just make an informed one.  Take these if you choose, but please take enough of them and take a separate calcium citrate.  And please make sure to track your labs.  Because once they tank, it's really hard to get them back on track.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 346 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 308 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 346 views