What is the BEST RTD or Powder protein drink for 2 week pre-op????

kim_in_alabama
on 6/2/11 4:50 am
I've been looking into muscle milk, about time, click.  I just don't know what to get.
I tried the sample of about time it was good, but the bariatric power was ok, but I want to mix it up a bit with RTD shakes too.

HELP

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
LMCLILLY
on 6/2/11 4:55 am - Central, CT
My advice- don't buy anything in large quantity or that you can't taste first.  Even then, get sample packs or the smallest package possible.  You'll l get tired of the same old, your tastes change as you loose weight and you may find that soy vs whey or vice versa sits better with you as you progress too.

Really though, the answer is whatever you like the best that you can tolerate.  Make sure it has the lowest sugar possible.  Muscle milk, in my experience is higher in sugar.  However,they may have new formulas that I'm not familiar with.  I'm far out from the need to get my protein from shakes.  

Good luck!

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

nomoresugar
on 6/2/11 5:01 am, edited 6/2/11 5:03 am
For pre-op muscle milk RTD would be ok, the muscle milk light would be better. some of the stores that sell it will often give you a sample. vitamin world is one, I don't know if they have a store near you. they are generally located in factory outlet malls. Look for ones that are about 10 calories per gram of protein. And, everyone's taste is different, so what you love, others will hate and the reverse is true.

Most click has caffeine, which was prohibited pre-op. In my program you must be caffeine free before surgery to avoid withdrawal headaches.
whatachief
on 6/2/11 5:09 am
You should look for high protein and low carbohydrates - probably under 15 g of carbs.  The lower the better because you might be able to use after surgery.  I have used the HMR shakes, Optifast shakes, Isopure Zero Carb Protein (strawberry and vanilla are the better flavors), There are various unflavored ones such as Syntrax Nectar.  I needed to go lactose free and all of those worked for me.

Good Luck

Paul C.
on 6/2/11 5:56 am - Cumming, GA
The best Protein drink or powder is the one you can get down the easiest.

Some people will say without a doubt that you should only do Whey Isolate.  I will go along with that you should use a Whey based protein and it should be low carbs and sugars and High protein.  If you meet those standards then Find one you like/tolerate and go with it.  Personally I can't stand the flavor of Isolate RTD or Powders.  I found a quality one that I use and still used 10 months post op.

I believe you get what you pay for when it comes to protein supplements if you pay the cheaper prices you may not like it.  I am willing to pay a higher prices for a quality product.

Good Luck!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
johnsoca
on 6/2/11 6:00 am - Madison, AL
I don't think you can beat Premier Protein High Protein Shakes. They have 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g total carbs with 1g sugar, and have only 160 calories per 11-oz. shake. They are available at Costco and come in chocolate and vanilla flavors. I've been drinking them since my pre-op days. When I get tired of plain chocolate or vanilla, I'll spin them in the blender with a chunk of banana (chocolate) or some berries (vanilla) to switch up the flavor. I imagine you could throw in some of the sugar-free syrups for some flavor enhancement, too.

Lisa E.
on 6/2/11 6:12 am - Fontana, CA
 Your shake doesn't get all frothy when you blend it? I tried and I had to dump it, it was full of air. I love my premier I drink 2 a day but Yes I would like to change it up a little at times. I drink the Chocolate and Hubby drinks the Strawberry... Didn't care for the Strawberry myself, Still waiting to try vanilla. 
Good Luck, Lisa     

therealleigh
on 6/2/11 7:10 am - Matthews, NC
I am on day three of my liquid diet. This was a problem for me, I liked the apple melon isopure rtd watered down. I had a hard time finding a powder. But visited a gnc and tried amped whey metabolic extreme 60, I use one scoop with 4 oz skim milk which gives me 24 g protein and 138 calories. It is a small amount and tastes good.
Michelle E.
on 6/2/11 12:41 pm
I like Premier RTD..

Michelle
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??