Iron Question

pamelatx111
on 6/3/11 12:21 pm - TX
I just went to my preop class yesterday and was told to take ferrous fumarate iron and  have read here to take carbonyl iron.  Other than price what is the difference? When I asked the nut about carbonyl she acted like she had never heard of it. what gives? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Laugh Often. Regret Nothing!                               Surgery date 7/18/11
aclay
on 6/3/11 12:41 pm - MA
Thank you for asking this....I asked it earlier too on another post because I just bought some at CVS today  (iron plus vit c... ferrous fumarate)  They did say the carbonyl iron , but I have been researching for about 1 hour now and can't find anywhere where they even say what type or does it matter which one.  I'm so confused too.

poet_kelly
on 6/3/11 12:46 pm - OH
Carbonyl is straight elemental iron, no iron salts.  The other kinds contain iron salts that cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 6/3/11 12:47 pm
Ferrous fumarate is ok, although carbonyl is easier on the gut and in my experience less likely to cause constipation.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views