Help! 18mo out, burning when I eat or drink

Marci M.
on 6/4/11 10:37 pm - Westbrook, CT
RNY on 12/21/09 with
hi Guys,

I am 18 months out, everything has been great up until now.  Every time I eat or even drink anything it buns so bad that I am almost brought to tears.  It is getting worse.  Called the Dr. they want ne to try yo tget through the weekend with maylox and pepcid. Do you think it is an ulser?  Augh

10 lbs of this weight was lost prior to surgery
Poof, there goes another pound

walterswife
on 6/4/11 10:42 pm
Not really sure but an ulcer may be a good possibility.  It doesn't sound like the pain that results from gall stones....please let us  know what happens.

I hope you get some relief soon.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Pupcake !.
on 6/4/11 11:24 pm - Stranded in, IA
Sounds like an ulcer to me.

Feel better soon.

Pup
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/4/11 11:30 pm - OH
Yep, sounds like an ulcer...

Hang on, Monday is coming.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dasie
on 6/5/11 12:39 am
Are we prone to develop ulcers at any time.  I thought once we were that far out, as long as we don't take NSAIDs, we are safe?  I guess not.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/5/11 3:47 am - OH
I am certainly no expert on it, but I was told that we are never "safe" from the risk of ulcers (even without NSAIDs) because our pouch simply does not have the protective juices that our old stomach had/has.  The NSAIDs, though, pose the greatest threat.  That is one of the legitimate arguments against drinking soda (because of the acid in it).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

facethemusic
on 6/4/11 11:44 pm
Sounds like what I went through with my ulcers.  I would ask them to call you in some Carafate and Protonix.  If they won't then I'd do some Prevacid instead of Pepcid.  Pepcid is a H2 blocker whereas Prevacid is a PPI.  If it is an ulcer the PPI will help more.  The Maalox should help some too.

Monday will be here soon.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  It is horrible and painful.  Does drinking hurt less than eating?  In my case it did so I back to full liquids until I saw my surgeon and had an endoscopy.

Do you smoke or drink soda or anything like that?  I was told that those could cause ulcers and discontinuing either would help. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

dasie
on 6/5/11 12:40 am

I hope you feel better quickly.  We are post-op the same amount of time.  Did anything in your diet/meds change?

ready_2_live
on 6/5/11 1:59 am - Niceville, FL
 I feel your pain, literally! I'm 15 months out and just had an upper endoscopy on Friday to confirm that I have a pretty good sized ulcer. Burning and painful with any food or drink for me. Doc said only soft foods for at least one week and aciphex 2X a day, carafate 4 times a day. If anything changes or gets worse, ER might not be a bad idea. Things can go from bad to much worse pretty quickly and get dangerous so be careful! 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 352 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 253 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 114 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?