Travel abroad 5 weeks postop

Sasrah1972
on 6/5/11 3:45 am - NY
Hello all,

I am traveling abroad when i am 5 weeks post-op.  Any advice? I will be on a flight for about 11 hours, so I know to make sure to walk around a lot. Luckily it is a night time flight so I will be able to sleep much of the way!  I will be out of the country for a month, and am all prepared on the ground, but I'd appreciate any and all advice about traveling that you are willing to offer!

I will be bringing powdered protein mix with me, in carry-on and in luggage, and have requested a diabetic meal so that at least I will have some access to lean protein and veggies.

Thanks for your advice!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

lynnc99
on 6/5/11 4:35 am
I have done a lot of post op travel, but not overseas. Here are a few thoughts:

You are planning ahead and that is great! The protein powder will definitely keep you afloat during the trip. Not sure about the availability of skim or low fat milk at your destination - consider trying to mix with water to see if it works for you.

11 hrs. is a long flight. You may do well to wake yourself up every few hours for a 10 minute walk up and down the aisle.

Once you are through security, buy a couple of larger bottles of water so you have plenty of fluids for the flight. 

You will want to pack a few carry on snacks such as string cheese. FYI - Yogurt or other semi-fluid foods cannot be taken through security.

At your destination, take advantage of local markets for foods you can enjoy, and once again be sure to always have water with you as you travel.

Enjoy!

lorilea
on 6/5/11 8:22 am - MN
I didn't do any traveling after surgery, but going back to work was tough enough for me.  Keep your foods as simple as possible and make sure you have plenty of protein powder with you. 

I would discuss this with your surgeon's office, at 5 weeks you probably will just be starting soft foods, so you might want to think about things you can take with you.  I was very careful about trying new foods when I was out and about or even at work in case something didn't agree with me or got stuck.

Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 404 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 59 views