OPTI FAST PRE-OP DIET & HUNGRY HELP!

Rachael Richardson
on 6/13/11 3:30 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with

At surgeons reques  I started the one week Opti Fast liquid protein diet.  Surgery is next Monday.  It is 1:28 PM, and I had one shake, one soup and a bar.  At work feelng lightheaded, hungry need more protein.  Only two more shakes left for the day.

My blood sugar always dropped when I skipped meals or did not get enough protein.  How am I going to work and function all week feeling like this? 

Any ideas or experiences with Opti Fast or any pre-op diet

Donna

armywife05
on 6/13/11 4:12 am
I was required to do the optifast liquid diet for 4 weeks prior to my surgery. It was a little rough in the beginning for me as well, but it did get better over time. Is there a nutritionist that works with your program? If so, I would call them as talk to them about what you're experiencing, maybe they would authorize another shake or two? I know my program told us that an extra shake or two wouldn't make a difference in our pre op if we were desperate, because they weren't a lot of calories and it was better than eating food. If you don't have a nutritionist with your program...I'd call your surgeon's office and get their help. Good luck to you! You can do it!! It's one week to the start of your new life.
First Goal

shellybellymichele
on 6/13/11 4:55 am - Canton, OH
I feel ya. I just started mine today too. I'm on it for two weeks, but i am allowed 7 a day. I have soup, drinks, and bars.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/13/11 5:35 am

Are you drinking fluids in between?  Drink as much calorie free beverages between your Optifast.  It helps a lot.

Winnie

Rachael Richardson
on 6/13/11 12:55 pm - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
Thanks everyone!  I did call my surgeon's office and physician assistant said yes add more protein shakes and I can use the protein I bought for my post op liquid diet to supplement the Opti Fast.  I was also told  it gets easier after 24-48 hours?

Donna

flyingwoman
on 6/13/11 1:07 pm
Day 3 is MUCH easier.

Make sure to drink lots of water, like TONS... I needed 3-4 liters a day.
Most Active
Recent Topics