11 days Post OP- Questions about weight loss

NextChapterPlease
on 6/17/11 5:50 am - CA
Hi everyone,

I'm 11 days post op. I started @ 278 and my weight is down to 251. The morning of my surgery, after completeing my 14 day liquid only pre-op diet, I weighed 251. 11 days later, I weigh the same. Is this normal? I weighed today and thought for sure I had dropped another 8 to 10 lbs. My body feels smaller ( even though my stomach is still swollen from the surgery), and I honestly felt disappointed by the number on the scale. I know this is a process, however, I am feeling a little down today and reaching out for support. Have any of you experienced this? is it normal? Am I right where I am supposed to be? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bettisima
on 6/17/11 6:01 am
Congrats on your surgery and on your pre op weight loss. It definitely has an impact on that big burst of weight loss directly after surgery.

Throw the scale away. Scales are evil. They are a measurement of a single moment and not a daily indication of how healthy you are. Yes we had weight loss surgery, we want weight loss. And it will happen. I made a commitment not to weigh at home until after my 6 week appointment with my surgeon. And then, no more often than every 2 weeks. The body fluctuates. It stalls and you will make your self mental over that thing. Focus on your healing. Focus on your fluid and protein, and walking, movement. Take measurements!! And 3 months from now, you will stand back and be amazed.
NextChapterPlease
on 6/17/11 6:11 am - CA
Thank you for your response. I'm getting rid of the scale. :)
seattledeb
on 6/17/11 6:22 am
and what peace of mind you are going to have!

poet_kelly
on 6/17/11 6:37 am - OH
They pump you full of fluids in the hospital.  That certainly affects things.

Staying off the scale is the best thing you can do.  I promise you - PROMISE you - you're going to lose weight.  Lots of weight.  It is impossible to have this surgery and not lose lots of weight (even though it is true some people don't lose as much as they'd like).  Just stay off the scale for a few more weeks, at least.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NextChapterPlease
on 6/17/11 6:46 am - CA
Thank you Kelly! I appreciate your words. I should know better. I recently purchased a scale before I had the surgery ( prior have not had a scale in my house for 10 years!). When I walk in the bathroom and see it on the floor, my first thought is to get on it. I am going to remove it, and put it in the shed. :)
Rebecca H.
on 6/17/11 8:34 am
I think I'm going to have to agree and do the same. Throw out the scale! I have weight in at 240 for 4+ weeks. It drives me CRAZY. I'm getting depressed and frustrated. If I throw the scale out, I think I will feel better and not be so internally focused. I've heard of other people stalling too. ..... whew! I feel better already!
amberd910
on 6/17/11 10:47 am - CT
hang in there! I stalled at 1 1/2 weeks post-op and didn't loose again until appx 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I weigh every day which my dietitian scolded me for. I agree that we need to ignore the scales and only weigh say once a week. I starting measuring inches once a week and that's the judge because typically I loose 1/2 to 1 inch a week (what I have been averaging). So the weight loss will come. Just make sure to get your protein in as my dietician says this will help your weight loss and your body heal properly.
vkhill22
on 6/18/11 2:18 am, edited 6/18/11 2:19 am - Duluth, MN
My first appointment with my surgeon after surgery, I had "gained" 15 pounds!! I was devastated!! He told me not to worry, it was water from the IV fluids they pump into you. He was right. Two weeks post-op, I lost that 15 pounds, plus another 12 pounds. Try to stay away from the scale. It could help your sanity!! lol
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 241 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views