by-pass vs sleeve

Mary E.
on 6/24/11 2:49 am - Castle Hayne, NC
Hey I have had the gastric bypass and I am doing good but my nephew is investigating surgeries and we ran across the sleeve which seems to be less invasive than the gastric bypass and appears to work just as well.  So just curious did anyone investigate the sleeve prior to their surgery and if so what made you choose the by-pass over the sleeve.  I never heard of it before I  had surgery and my doctor doesn't do it.  so I did not have to make a choice.  Any thoughtsWould be greatly appreciated.  thanks,
May God Bless us All and please give me the strength and determination to do what it takes to be healthy and active again! - Beth    
Sillycar
on 6/24/11 4:07 am
My PCP told me they are finding that sleeve patients are not having as good long term results. I think the statistics out there vary as it just hasn't been around that long. My PCP recommended that I stick with the gold standard RNY. That's my reasoning however everyone may have different points of view on this. Best of luck to your nephew!!

Amy22
on 6/24/11 4:55 am
I don't think it's less invasive really other than not involving the intestines.  Sleeve does require a much longer staple line and that makes it a bit more serious in the event of a leak.

My surgeon said he would be comfortable with either one for me, but being a researcher myself, I went with RNY because of the much larger body of research, especially the longitudinal data following folks that are many many years out!
Dave Chambers
on 6/24/11 5:27 am - Mira Loma, CA
The sleeve is still major surgery, just not quite as complicated as RNY.  There is plenty of long range health data on RNY patients, but only a limited amount on the sleeve as it has only been done for a comparitively short time.  There can be reasons for the sleeve over RNY, such as long term needs for daily NSAID usage, which cannot be done with RNY.  If there is any family history of diabetes, I'd head for the RNY surgery.  That was my choice, as my mom developed diabetes at 55 and spent the next 33 years with many health challenges, which lead to her death last month. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Barbara M.
on 6/25/11 2:04 pm - IL
I had RNY b/c I had acid reflux (gerd). My Dr. said all the other procedures make acid reflux worse. I did a lot research anyway and am still convinced RNY is the best way to go. But, I know many people do well with the other surgeries. Altho I question how successful the LapBand is. Seems like a lot of fooling around to get the "sweet spot" and so many get revision to something else. I wish your nephew the best of luck and success with whatever he chooses. Barbara
Barbara 
RNY 3/21/2011  Dr. Marshall, OSF Surgical Center, Peoria, IL
Most Active
Recent Topics