New here but need some advice...help...something!

KarenCee
on 6/27/11 12:15 pm - GA
Hey y'all - I'm new here and so far I'm enjoying reading through the first page of forum threads.  I do have a question:  I am on a pre-op liquid diet and I am day six into it.  I'm waiting for the insurance company to send authorization for surgery but the dr's staff told me to go ahead and start this.  So, my question is...how have others handled this?  I am alternating between feeling ok and feeling starved.  Watching everyone eat regular food doesn't help.  I know this is temporary but I'm just curious how others handled this part?  I'm emotional and maybe this is part of the grief process - grieving food that is.  If any of you can offer advice, encouragement...whatever...I would really appreciate it! 
Amber J.
on 6/27/11 1:08 pm - Kirkland, WA
 The two weeks of liquid diet were rough for me. The easiest time was when I was at work. Mostly I just kept picturing the end. I took it one day at a time and would tell myself "only four more hours to go". I'd go to bed early. The hardest time was the last three days of the diet. I went camping. It was miserable watching everyone get delicious hot food cooked over the fire while I was drinking protein shakes. :(

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Ashley K.
on 6/27/11 2:51 pm
I dont recall struggling with the liquid diet, I still got a choice (although it was limited of course) as to what i felt like err slurping for the day and I prepared everything ahead of time so I knew what I was going to have for the day.  Then...if I did ever feel like there were evil people about with all that yummy food I either removed myself from the situation, or had my water bottle and tasty crystal light or tea handy so I could drank a ton more all of a sudden to fill myself up, or I just smelled their food and enjoyed that.  I wish you all the luck and just think you are almose done with it, youve probably lost weight,  and your body will be that much more prepared for surgery!  So focus on the good and enjoying all the other wonderful things life has to offer!

Jacobsmama08
on 6/27/11 3:21 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
What kind of protein shakes are you drinking? I had Optifast shakes that I bought from the doc's office, and keep in mind, those shakes are less than 200 calories, you aren't supposed to stick to 3 meals a day, have 4, have 5 if you have to, to get through the day. And snack on veggies. Have a bowl of broccoli, or green beans, carrots... I found that putting SF pudding mix in my shake not only changed the flavor, made it super yummy, but also thickened it up so it made me seem like I was more full. Get creative, fresh fruit, ice, different extracts, coconut is a good one, and rum extract, yum!! And water, lots of water!! Good luck!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

KarenCee
on 6/28/11 3:15 am - GA
I'm using whey isolate, recommended by my doctors.  I'm not allowed any solid foods at all so I think that's what has made this harder for me.  I like the idea of extracts...had not thought of that one! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I finally have a date for surgery - July 13.  :)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views