Ouch!! two week post op, Pain in Left Side of Stomach What Could It Be?

Rachael Richardson
on 7/2/11 8:58 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with

For the past week I have had random very sharp pain in my left side of my stomach about five inches from my major incision area.  When I walk or stand it relieves the pain.  I do not understand what this pain is?  It is not incision pain but it is very sharp and deep.  I have noticed the pain sometimes increases when I eat and lingers for about a half hour afterwards.  I am taking very small bites of mushy food and often not even finishing the 4 tbs of mushy food.

Could this pain be related to the food going down into my stomach? 

Anyone experience this?  

Donna

formyson1121
on 7/2/11 9:01 am - MA
i had the same EXACT thing.  I thought I broke something LOL!  My sister and father both had (they had bypass before me).  It's normal (i still called my surgeon even though they both had it).  For me it went away the more I moved..  after about 3 weeks it was gone completely.  I am a little over a month out and feel fantastic (no pain at all)

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW JOURNEY!!!
roxie46
on 7/2/11 9:42 am
Hi i am in the moddle of my 6 week post op and after the 2 week i had severe burning  feeling pain that was very un comtable so i called my doc and he seen me and said its normal and gave me some stronger pain med so it helped me to deal with the pain. two weeks later it went away completely and I feel great. I lost a total of 23.2 pounds since my surgery and friends that has not seen me in a very long time said they see a diffeerence in me and that sure makes me feel good when other notice the weight loss even though i dont notice as much as they do.the best thing to do is walk walk walk and if u cant due to rain the try fast pace walking in place to music or a work out show anything to keep moving. for me my worst pain was at night when trying to sleep. but now i can move around alot and even sleep on either side not just my back. good luck in your recovery and in no time you will feel better and do more things....Roxanne
AmberLee72
on 7/2/11 9:33 am
I assume it is normal. Thank you for posting this! I was getting discouraged by all the people saying they feel no pain after a few days! I am 10 days post up today and Im still in pain. Its all on my left side. My partner also had RNY 6 years ago and she told me it is normal. We just went through MAJOR surgery. I pray we both are pain free very soon!
roxie46
on 7/2/11 9:43 am
that side is where mine was too and thats where they did most of the moving around on.
kim_in_alabama
on 7/2/11 10:24 am
I have the same pain..... it hurts to sneeze cough laugh pass gas.  I figured it was from them moving everything.  I've sucked down almost all my loratab liquid.  Ididn't take any today I said I was going to deal with the pain,but..... I am about to take some.  You just can't get comfortable with the pain lingering like that.

Glad to see others in the same boat as me.

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
Sugar Mama
on 7/2/11 11:11 am - amityville, NY
 My surgeon purposely gave me the heads up and told me while I was still in the hospital that .....The pain that was going to hurt me  the most and last the longest was going to be on my left  side and drew like a c shape on my abdominal and said from here to there....so maybe there is something to that.....neverthelss I am only 18 days out it still hurts...I am taking Liquid tylenol with codeine.....hope that helps ya.

Kim
Aka
Sugar Mama
amberd910
on 7/2/11 11:31 am - CT
I had the same pain which spread to my back. Just be careful because mine was an ulcer that ruptured that caused internal bleeding. I was in the hospital twice in 1 week because I started vomiting blood and blood clots. I'm not saying that is what it is but trust yourself. If you don't feel right call your dr. That's what they are paid for.
Rachael Richardson
on 7/2/11 11:44 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
Thanks everyone for your replies..I am going to break down and take some of the liquid loratab which I have not needed to use in over a week!  Hopefully, this is just normal pain and will subside with pain medicine.  I am keeping my fingers crossed! At least I am not alone in this...thank you everyone!

Donna

Used2Bthin
on 7/2/11 12:05 pm - Canada

Just remember they cut your intestive, removed a peice, then reattached it.  It will be tender for some time.  Also if you find it eases with movement it is most likely gas.

Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Most Active
Recent Topics