What are the best exercises?

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/30/11 8:49 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
I am now down about 30lbs from where I started and have 78lbs more to drop before I feel comfortable enough to have surgery.

My biggest concern is sagging skin...I am immobile at the moment...but hoping to drop enough to change that.  Any exercises that you find helpful to tone and burn calories that are low impact?

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/30/11 8:50 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
Ohhh...and on another smaller note....how do I get the ticker to update?  I typed in my new weight this morning after hitting edit and it still says 88lbs to lose instead of 78. :(  I am really bad with techy things, lol.

:)  Happy Friday!! :)

psx chelly
on 6/30/11 11:24 pm
When I wasnt so mobile (2010 I had 6 surgeries on my knee) I did "The Office Workout"

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

I know they "look" easy... but do them all day, and I guarentee you will feel it tomorrow.

Also, when you get to the point where you want to do structured workouts:

I have been doing Richard Simmons "Ton'in to the Oldies".  Its a new DVD he made this year, and it came with "boogie cords" which are these rubber straps that help you tone while you do cardio.

I have noticed that Richard Simmons stuff is for "the rest of us"... who cant do Shred, or Billy Banks Taebo , or any of the other crazy workouts.  You get a great workout with Richard, and its no less benefical than Shred or the others.

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/2/11 8:21 am
VSG on 02/08/16
I have enjoyed Richard Simmons in the past, so I will certainly have to check that out!!  Thank you!! :)

lynnc99
on 6/30/11 11:25 pm
Well, I guess you could say that the "best" exercise for any one of us is the on that we will actually do!

But seriously, a few thought some to mind. The issue of skin is a given for those who have a lot to lose. Other factors enter in, such as age and genetics. I do believe that the whole situation is better if you commit to exercise throughout your journey.

In addition, exercise was identified by my doctor as one of the variables that truly helps patients have long term success.

As your mobility improves, I would recommend that you set very small, reachable goals. Ifnyou begin with walking, don't worry about walking a mile as you start - you may find that you quite literally count your steps and add to the count each day. If you begin with 10 steps, the first goal may be 15.

I also recommend exploring access to a pool and looking into good water exercise programs. Look for those that follow Arthritis Foundation guidelines - even if you don't have arthritis, these will follow good practicer to sllow you to work out without stressing the joints. Even walking in the water provides an enhances and supported workout. The water offers an unmatched combination of support and resistance. You will be able to do things in the water that would be outrageous on dry land!

Now, a couple of added points. You may want to consider working with a physical therapist or personal trainer who has experience in working with obese clients. This will give you a definite advantage where training guidelines and safety are concerned. And if water extrcise is part of the picture, a trainer or PT may have access to find a pool that isn't so busy, allowing you good access to the pool for your workouts. And don't worry about the swimsuit issue! There are options of what to wear as you begin.

Finally, you can begin even now with some gentle stretching and range of motion exercises that can be done from a seated position. Pleae PM me your e mail if you would like some suggestions. This post ismlong enough already!
Jadeyesmiling
on 7/2/11 8:23 am
VSG on 02/08/16
I have a rollator so now that it is nice out I will have to start to try to walk a few extra feet every day.  My doctor ordered physical therapy which may include a pool, I just have to get a back xray first which is a pain in the toosh!! :(  I hate getting naked for Doctors.

_Donna_
on 6/30/11 11:28 pm
I have videos with Leslie Sansone, she does a lot of at home, low impact workouts.

when you update your ticker you have to wait for it to tell you its been updated before you leave that page, sometimes it takes a little time.
I cant even get my ticker to work again since the problems of last week

RNY 5-5-2011

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 11:49 pm - TX
I am down 62 lbs since March 1st. I am not considering plastic surgery. Just because of the expense, the pain, the time off work....I had three hard weeks after the RNY and I don't think I am willing to do even more intensive surgery.

I have been working out HARD for two months now, and I see a huge difference in my arms. I don't think I'll need surgery there at all. I am doing pushups and a series of five weight machines 5 days a week, plus some of the pulley machines and free weights at the gym. For the belly, I can feel some definite abs but they are all under loose skin and I don't think that will change. I had three 9 pound plus babies over the last 15 years and its been like that since. Its only going to get worse. My thighs don't look great either but I don't plan on buying any Daisy Duke's and I can wear a sarong with a bathing suit.

I think its just a personal choice. If I had the money and no job and no three kids to care for, I might do it...or if I had extended vacation time, like six weeks, and someone to run my kids around. Especially a tummy tuck.
Jadeyesmiling
on 7/2/11 8:24 am
VSG on 02/08/16
Sounds like you are really on track!!  I have some hand weights I will have to revisit doing some small exercises with those!! :)

MzSunshines
on 7/1/11 12:31 am
Swimming!!! My knees are shot so I swim ALOT!!! Good luck on your new journey sweetie!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 6 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 6 replies · 95 views