Question for Kelly

babybooo828
on 7/6/11 11:29 am
 I was just going to message you, but I thought maybe others would be interested too. If anyone else, please feel free to answer. 

I was wondering if there is a website for the guidline for WLS? I know there is a name for the association that makes the guideline, but I can't remember it.

I was just wanted to read up to make sure I am doing well post-op. I keep reading over the information from my surgeon. He really did give a lot of information, but none on vitamin levels. He gave what to take and how much, but nothing about the levels for labs, ect.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/11 11:38 am - OH
The ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and bariatric Surgery):

http://www.asmbs.org/

The nutritional guidelines can be found at (there is also a second page about vitamins,but I do not have it bookmarked):
http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

babybooo828
on 7/6/11 11:42 am
 Thanks! I really appriciate it.

I'm not sure why, but my surgeon never listed that wedsite as a resource with the rest of the site he suggested. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/11 12:05 pm - OH
Probably because it is geared more towards medical professionals than patients...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sharyn S.
on 7/6/11 12:07 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with

The normal lab ranges do not change just because we have WLS.  Our goal should be the higher end of normal.  And your personal levels will dictate how much of a particular vitamin you need to take.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

poet_kelly
on 7/6/11 12:21 pm - OH
Yeah, Lora's got it.  I think all RNY folks should read and reread that.  Yeah, it's kind of dry reading.  But it's important.  For anyone that has a doc or dietician that recommends something else in terms of vitamins, unless that recommendation is specifically based on your labs, I suggest asking them why they recommend something that goes against the ASMBS guidelines.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics