What is "goal"?

Sasrah1972
on 7/18/11 4:36 pm - NY
So I am officially 9 weeks post surgery today!

I started at 314 (day of surgery) and am 268 today, which if my math is correct is a loss of 46lbs. I am 5'4". I am hoping to get down to about 140-150.

My surgeon and NUT have never mentioned a "goal" weight for me. Who sets your goal? Is it you? How do you decide?

Thanks!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

sjweiser
on 7/18/11 6:39 pm
 Hi Sasrah, You can ask your surgeon next time you see them. I set my own goals.
Tim T.
on 7/18/11 8:34 pm - Eastham, MA
If you're shooting for 140-150 then that is your goal! Your body weight will plateau when it's had enough of weight loss. Stick to the program, eat what you're supposed to, excercise as much as you can, I suggested to my NUT it would be nice to lose 100 lbs and get off diabetes, hypertension and cholesterol meds. He looked at me and said I shouldn't have a problem. I guess that is my goal. It's only been two weeks out for me but my attitude and determination will be key to achieve my goal. ps- i was discharged out of the hospital off the Metformin (diabetes meds). One down- right out of the gate!
anabeth413
on 7/18/11 9:22 pm - brielle , NJ
i personally think your body will automatically set your goal for you. atleast it did for me...my surgeon never set any particular number for me. on my ticker i set my goal at 170 but just because that would of been 100 even lbs for me to loose...my own body stopped loosing at 160 and ive been steady at that weight for months and im confortable. i wouldnt want to go lower and even if i went back to 170 i was ok there too. for me its how i felt rather than what the scale said ...but then again i was never a scale junki right from the start! i would go weeks/even a couple of months without weighing myself. personally i wouldnt focus too much on "the number" ive seen that screw with many peoples minds on here. just me opinion. good luck :)

Don27516
on 7/18/11 9:47 pm - NC
 My doctor told me I would probably get down to 220. I was told I would probably lose 60 to 80% of my excess weight. I set my goal at 200 and I will make it soon.

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/11 9:49 pm
Many surgeons will not give specific "goals" to their patients. Mine simply wanted me to get under a BMI of 30, which was about 190 for me. I chose a weight from my 20's that I was comfortable at.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/18/11 10:55 pm

The doc in charge of my 3 month required diet for approval asked me where I would like to be.  I am 5' 10" and said 175 or below.  He said that was totally doable.  That was the only conversation on goal weight I have had.

Winnie

Most Active
Recent Topics