What to buy before surgery??????

tamtully71
on 7/20/11 5:31 am
I am having surgery August 16th.  I have some of the advantage protien shakes already and some broth and powdered milk, SF Jello, SF popsicles.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what I will need when I come home, because my sweet hubby is no shopper lol!!!  So I need to be prepared as much as possible so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also I can not find my surgeon on the list... It is Dustin Mcdermott in Fort Hood Texas... and I am having Gastric Bypass (RNY)
poet_kelly
on 7/20/11 5:34 am - OH

Get samples of a bunch of different protein shakes at vitalady.com.

Get whatever food and drinks you'll be allowed to eat the first week or two.  Your doc should give you a list.  Look for stuff like broth, cream soups, yogurt (make sure you get ones low in sugar), sugar free pudding, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, crystal light, hot herb or decaf tea, etc.  But don't buy too much of anything - remember, one can of soup will make a few meals at first.

Get your vitamins - a multi with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it, calcium citrate, iron and B12.  Others if you need them.

Get some little tupperware containers for leftovers.

Have tylenol and gas-x. 

A blender will be a big help in making protein shakes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mariettabrit
on 7/20/11 5:44 am - GA
I think you have it covered for liquids when you get home, just make sure you have enough of the protein drinks / supplements to last. Nesquik makes some good sugar-free powders to add to milk too if you want more variety of flavours.

Don't forget your chewable multi-vitamins and calcium

You'll need some basic medical supplies too like non-stick pads and tape for the incissions while they heal. Liquid tylenol too for pain (see below)

One mistake I made was not filling the prescription they give you for pain meds when u leave hospital. My last day I wasnt needing anything and the Surgeon said just use tylenol when u get home. Couple of days later tho I tore a staple in the muscle lining and NEEDED the liquid roxicet they give :)

Good luck!

Zombie
on 7/20/11 6:26 am
PM sent.

~Paul~

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views