Metabolism Testing and Weight Loss??

funeebonez
on 7/23/11 2:43 am - Logan, UT
I am about 2 years post op RNY.  I started out at 250# and now am about 130#.  I would like to try to get to 120#.  I dont know if I will but, i would like to try.

I had a metabolism test done the other day and it told me I burn about 1474 calories at rest, now this is if I do absolutley nothing at all.

If weight loss is calories in, calories out, then if I burn 1,474 calories at rest and I know I DONT eat that many calories then, WHY can I NOt drop the last lil' bit of weight?

Just curious?
Lisa R.
on 7/23/11 2:52 am - CA
 Ah, the age old question.  I am NO expert and I am not even 6 months out of surgery, but I did watch this movie from Nexflix the other day called Fat Head, you can stream it. Give it a try.  He really does answer this questions, calories in vs calories out.  It doesn't really work like that.  

It is ALSO the type of calories in and your bodies ability to store fats and to release fat to feed the body.  He talks about everything, carbs, protein, fats, processed foods, insulin.  It all made sense to me after I watched it.

Let me know if you do watch it and what you think.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 7/23/11 1:16 pm
I have no clue how they come up with those numbers but I know from being overweight most of my life my body does NOT do what it's suppose to (like burning 1474 calories while resting) or
using all my calories for energy and not fat. I've been on 800-1200 calories per day since I was a year out of surgery, so since 2002.I haven't gained, but have maintained my initial loss. My surgeon said 1200 calories max daily for his patients (unless you're doing extreme sports) so
I've always used that as a guideline. It's worked for me. If I did 1400 calories per day I'd be gaining a couple pounds every month. That's just me and I'm active now. Hope you figure this
out -

Jen 9+ yrs post op
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics