Tuna

T V.
on 7/25/11 2:17 pm
I went for my 3 week follow up today and they cleared me to start soft foods. I came home and tried some tuna. After 2 bites I had a horrible pain in my chest. Has anyone else experienced this? I did not mix it with mayo just plain. Was it because it was too dry?

azambesi
on 7/25/11 2:42 pm - Milton, FL
My guess is that it was too dry.  I usually mix my tuna with some mayo, pepper, onion powder, and a little relish.  Yum!  For me, anything that is too dry tends to revisit me (and I'm not generally happy to see it again !) 

I am currently keeping a jar of Fat-free turkey gravy in the fridge to add to my other meats to keep them moist as well.

Good Luck! It's great to be able to do something other than drink :)

-Aletheia

Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 5:32 pm
Wow I am 14 days post op and my doctor is going to keep me on liquids for a full 30 days. I would love to try some tuna.

When I had my lapband I would mix in a tablespoon or 2 of the Tostitos creamy spinach dip.

50 calories for 2 tbsp
1 gram protein

Just gave it a little different texture and taste.

Good luck!

CarolBeth
on 7/25/11 11:54 pm - SoCal, CA
Yes!  I just had my first tuna Friday evening.  I just mixed it with some light Miracle Whip (mayo if you're a MW hater).  Even then, if I did not take small bites and chew any small chunks until they were nothing, I could feel it going down.  I tried canned salmon yesterday and had HORRIBLE pain.  I didn't chew enough...and I guess it's a little "tougher" than the tuna.  I discovered the tuna goes down great as long as it has something "wet" on it, and I chew any pieces that aren't already pure mush.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

T V.
on 7/26/11 7:18 am
Thanks for your responses and suggestions. Hopefully, I will be able to keep it down the next time I try it.
nedrow
on 7/26/11 7:35 am - Mansfield, OH
I have not been able to tolerate tuna at all since surgery.  I loved it before surgery but after i have tried it 3 different times and every time it comes right back up!!  I don't know if there is something in it my pouch doesn't like or what.  Hopefully you will try again and all will go well.
curious3069
on 7/26/11 8:12 am - Newton, IL
Tuna is off my plate since surgery...have the same pain, almost feels like heartburn.   Had mayo in it too, not just dry.   Have tried it a time or two since the first try with the same result.  Figure I'll give it a try in another couple of weeks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views