Huge amount of hair loss. Pic also.

Susie A.
on 7/26/11 5:25 am - Palm Coast, FL

Hi OH peeps. As I sit and search the hair loss posts, and read the many stories.  I have to share my picture. It's been about 7 1/2 months since surgery.
I have ALWAYS got all my protein in and taken biotin everyday since released from the hospital. I bought a drain "strainer" after surgery, took out my tub plug, and have watched my thick curly hair fall out since about 10 weeks post op. It has been devastating to say the least. I have bald spots (as you can see), and always wear it up. I wonder everyday, if this is the day it will stop falling out? But I also know, it WILL grow back!! Diabetes gone. Sleep Apnea gone. High blood pressure gone, and 80 lbs gone are well worth the heartache.
To all you newbies, you WILL most likely lose some hair. It happens, and there's nothing we can do about it. Rest assured, its not forever.

Starting Weight - 286

Laura A.
on 7/26/11 5:32 am - Manteca, CA
Yep, you're right it WILL grow back....

I worried about my hair loss too....and then when I was just over a year out from surgery, I went through 10 months of chemotherapy.  Now that's hair loss!!!  I was smooth-baby bald for over a year.

But you guessed it....it all grew back!!!

Hang in there....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/26/11 5:34 am - Baltimore, MD
Being the uber-competive smartass that I am, I have to post this.

That's my scalp. WLS did not do that. I have alopecia. My hair won't ever grow back, I'm told. I still remain fabulous. You are fabulous too.

Hugs.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Susie A.
on 7/26/11 5:45 am - Palm Coast, FL
Yes Nik we are fabulous! I don't feel "sorry" for myself. I was just reading some newbie posts, and wanted to share what my hair is doing.
A guy walked by my desk, looking at me strange as I took that pic!

HUGS back to you.

Starting Weight - 286

Jenny_D
on 7/26/11 5:35 am - Canton, GA
For what it's worth, I don't notice any bald spots.

I had my two month follow-up today and both my bariatrician and my NUT told me that hair loss cannot be minimized or prevented. Extra protein only helps if your hair loss is caused by a protein deficiency.  It's a hormonal thing and it happens.

So I'm not going to sweat it when it happens. It happened after the birth of each of my two children and I survived. :)

Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

nancybugg
on 7/26/11 5:39 am - Riverview, FL
Yep, it happens and it sure does grow back!  I'm 11 months out and I have all these little 2 inch hairs growing back all over my head.  I can't wait for them to get a bit longer, but at least they are coming in now!
allvalerie
on 7/26/11 1:07 pm - Seward, AK

Here is my hair loss. Its thinned out all over and in one major line. My bangs help cover it but like you I mostly wear my hair up.

I started loosing hair just after one month and it stopped after month 5. Now i'm just waiting for it to all grow back in. I'll take the tempoary hair loss for the weight lost.

Valerie
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/11 2:38 pm - OH
Just be aware that it doesn't ALL grow back in ALL cases. I lost half my hair (literally) despite getting my protein and vitamins in from day one and starting biotin 2 months befopre surgery.  Only about 3/4 of what I lost grew back.  (Then, to add insult to injury, after waiting 2 years for the new hair to get to be about 3 inches long, I had unexplained hair loss again for over 6 months last year, and some of what came out was the new, short stuff but some of it was what was left of the longer hair... so now my hair is REALLY thin below my ears.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

seattledeb
on 7/26/11 5:48 pm
Something I've noticed post-op is the people I see with the thickest nicest hair seem to be the biggest. I think because your hair is not that crazy important  the body only gives to it if all else is covered. To me big shiny hair = too much nutrients!
What do I know though..I'm a cancer nurse and I think bald is beautiful.
Deb T.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 223 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 233 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 131 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 28 views