Birth Control Question

babybooo828
on 7/28/11 8:47 pm
 My surgeon never gave me any information on birth control (except to stop taking a few weeks before surgery and wait a few weeks after to start it up again). 

I know to take it at the same time each day to be effective. I've decided to take it at 12:30 pm when I take my iron supplement. I set an alarm on my phone to go off. This way I can make sure I take it at the same time since I don't always wake up at the same time each day and because I also have enough pills to take in the morning.

I don't currently have a significant other, but I am wondering for when that time comes, will the birth control be absorbed enough to work for its intended purpose? Right now, I was put on it to help control my cycle in hopes that it will become lighter and less pianful. I just want to be sure that it will prevent pregnancies for the future. 

Kiya95
on 7/28/11 8:59 pm - MD

I was told that birth control pills are not effective when taken by us RNY'ers. I know a couple people who took them as birth control and still became pregnant. Once you are active, be careful if that's the only form of BC you're taking.

Kiya

babybooo828
on 7/28/11 9:43 pm
 I think I would use condoms too, unless I was in a commited relationship. With the information, I may need to switch to something else and use two forms of birth control. 

Thanks for the information. 

Kiya95
on 8/1/11 1:40 am - MD
No problem! Hope everything works out for you!

aseg21
on 7/28/11 9:27 pm - Miami, FL
Mine didn't.. I tried oral contraceptives and literally bled for months, small amount but still bleeding. It was obvious it wsan't absorbing ideally. Nuvaring wasn't bad for me, but wasn't ideal either. If I were inclined to go back on birth control, I'd get Mirena, the IUD again.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

babybooo828
on 7/28/11 9:42 pm
Thanks for the information. I may have to save up for a few weeks and get mirena. I was going to go on that last year, but I just didn't have the money and my insurance won't cover it. Maybe, if I prove that I cannot absorb the pill, the might pay for mirena? I may have to check into this. 

Carebearny1999
on 7/30/11 3:01 am - Rochester, NY
Mine paid for it because the OB/GYN submitted studies showing that the pill isn't absorbed well post-op   so I'd try it for sure!  What's the worst they can say?!  

babybooo828
on 7/30/11 3:55 am
 So true... it never hurts to ask. 

archytorture32
on 7/28/11 10:25 pm
I just dealt with the same thing. My program says to stay away from the depo shot and oral birth controls most likely don't get absorbed.  I was given several options for this. I was told to continue the oral contrceptives and use a spermacide with it or I could switch to nueva ring.   I personaly went with the ring and it seems to be working fine.  Hope that helps

-S

*~*~*~*Saltines are magical *~*~*~*~

seashell6417
on 7/28/11 10:26 pm - Gaylord, MN
I love my Mirena.  If you are able to swing it that is the way to go.  I just have a little spotting each month w/ my Mirena.  I did have about three or more months where I spotted most of the time but it eventually stopped and I am very regular now.
Tami

Most Active
Recent Topics