Question for any Vets

babybooo828
on 8/5/11 6:26 am
How long did it take for your brain to catch up with your body?

I know that I have lost weight and look a lot better/different than when I had all my weight. I just can't seem to get my brain to catch up.

I still look in the plus size section first when I go shopping. Then I have to realize everything is too big and I need to go find smaller sizers (which I'm still not sure where to go: misses? juniors?). I have no memory of not wearing plus sized clothing. I mean, I know I once fit in smaller clothing, but ever since I knew what size clothes I wore and picked them out myself, they were plus sized.

I have trouble now recieving people's compliments. At first things like, "you look good" or "you are doing really well with your weight lose" were comments that I got and I could relate to those. Now when people tell me how skinny I am, I cannot relate. I don't feel skinny.

I talk about this with my therapist from time to time because I think it's important. 

Did anyone else have experiences with this? Did anything make it better or did it just take time to get used to your new body?

Laura in Texas
on 8/5/11 6:38 am
It gets better, but even at 3 years out I struggle with this from time to time. I don't obsess about it like I used to, so I feel some semblance of "normalcy". Hang in there!! 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/5/11 7:04 am - Windsor, Canada
I still struggle with these psychological aspects of surgery every day. I still have my fat head.

I am 5+ years out.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

for_my_kids
on 8/5/11 1:25 pm - NC
RNY on 08/20/10 with
 we are rowing the same boat!  i bought a size 14 today and it was nearly and out of body experience, i was thrown...still trying to buy 18's.  xl is no longer part of my collection, medium is where i live now...never could have dreamed it.  14 & Medium???  who is that girl, i started high school wearing 18/20!  the head probably never catches up with the body, it's a daily work in progress.  i spent 30 years knowing loving and looking at big me, i have only know this skinny heffer for about 8 months now, she is a rookie in my book...lol.  you should know that we are all going throught it.  congratulations on your success!!!!!!!

225+ Pounds Lost, Two Hundred...gone...but not forgotten!
babybooo828
on 8/5/11 10:30 pm
 Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't feel so crazy anymore! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 212 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 223 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 212 views