From high to low blood pressure!

LossLeader
on 8/6/11 2:33 am, edited 8/6/11 2:34 am
This is one of the weirdest things to happen to me since the surgery:

For many years, back to my teen years, I've had high blood pressure most of the time. For some years before the surgery I was taking a HBP medication (triumpterine-hydrochlorathyazide or something like that). I stopped taking this med at the time of my surgery, and after that my blood pressure dropped to normal pretty much right away. I've taken my BP periodically, most recently I was hovering at about 110/70, 52 or so pulse.

On Thursday I went to my GP for a minor thing (a lump, whcih turned out to be a harmless lipoma that I probably had for years, but only noticed because of all the weight I'd lost).

I mentioned to my doctor that recently when rising rapidly from a sitting or lying position I'll sometimes see black momentarily. He checked my BP and found it to be 100/70 lying and 100/60 standing. He said my b.p. was a bit low and said I should increase my salt intake! Wow. This is the first time in my entire life I've been asked to take more salt. It was usually the opposite.

I was wondering if anybody out there has had a similar experience -- low b.p. after the operation (especially if you used to have high b.p.). I always thought that low b.p. was a good thing, but I guess too much of anything isn't necessarily great.

Highest weight: approx. 293
Pre-fast weight: 284
Surgery weight: 274
Lowest weight:163
Current weight:182 

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 3:12 am - Santa Cruz, CA
This isn't uncommon.  The best way to combat it is to take it easy when rising from a laying
position.  First, sit up, take a deep breath, hold it, and then rise slowly.

And yes, add a little salt.  It won't hurt!!

This is not to say by the tablespoonful!!

Good luck!
Katari
on 8/6/11 5:26 am - OR
While it is slightly low (mine is REALLY low now. We're talking 85/59) it's not generally dangerously low, and yep, like the previous poster said, start taking it a little slower to stand up and add in a little salt (won't hurt to give it a try!). Also have you had your iron checked yet, Low iron can also cause the problem, so if your both low in BP and low on iron it will compound the problem.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

LossLeader
on 8/6/11 7:30 am, edited 8/5/11 7:30 pm
Actually as soon as the doc said that I went out and bought a half-pound of lox, which I've been having with breakfast everyday. That happens to be one of my fave foods anyway.

But you know, I've never really restricted my salt intake, and have been eating smoked meat (ham and turkey bacon), practically every day even before I was told to increase my salt.

Dave's post below said his bp went so low he needed a pacemaker! This is a bit worrisome. I wonder how common this is.
Dave Chambers
on 8/6/11 5:46 am - Mira Loma, CA

I took high bp meds for about 15 years before my RNY in 2006.  About 8 months post op, I began having some dizzy issues, from minor episodes to more severe episodes. But when I began passing out for a few seconds, I began going to my PCP to resolve this issue. Going back on bp meds, changing meds 2-3 times, several tests and I finally ended with a cardiologist doctor.  One more Holter Monitor test, and I had a diagnosis. I needed a pacemaker to control my low bp issues.  I'd had documented pulse rates of 45 and 38 when I was fitted with test leads during this investigative time frame. Dianosis on a Thursday, implant next Tuesday. 3 1/2 year check up last month, and my bp is good, and my pacemaker is working about 55% of the time, and I'll likely need another battery implanted in 2 more years.  Oh, I'm back on the high bp meds also. So if you begin having dizzy spells frequently, or pass out (not from dumping), begin checking your PCP.  Salt may or may not resolve your issue. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

LossLeader
on 8/6/11 7:27 am
Thanks to everybody for your replies. One thing I don't understand, Dave, is why you would need to go back on high b.p. meds if you have low b.p. Can you clarify?

I wonder if low b.p. may be a kind of side effect of the surgery.  The pacemaker thing is a bit scary.

Could it be that losing all that weight relieves pressure on the arteries to such an extent that it can seriously lower one's b.p.? I've never heard of this before.

Dave Chambers
on 8/6/11 10:18 am - Mira Loma, CA
Sure. I've always tended to have low bp, but this did not cause any issues.  Lower bp for some post ops is the result of the lower wt, reducing higher bp issues.  I can't say mine is the result of surgery nor do I know any other post op with a pacemaker who blames their surgery.  My PCP ran several tests, including 2 Holter Monitor Tests and one Event Monitor Test. Cardiologist ran one more Holter test. Evaluating all 3 she noted the issue.  I would have brief periods of elevated bp, and then return to normal. But for some reason, every once in a while, my bp would "dip" below my normal low, and that's when I got very dizzy or passed out.  So the old bp meds I took for 15 years were prescribed to minimize any periods of higher bp, and the pacemaker would assure my lower bp would not go below 60.  Two pills of Verapamil daily, and the pacemaker make my life so much easier. I actually blacked out for a few seconds 3 times while driving.  I was talking in my home, and ended up on the floor, awaking about 30 seconds later. I also had a time in Best Buy when I was making a large TV purchase. I was in the process of writing a check, felt suddenly dizzy, and had to immediately sit down. I crawled over by the TV displays to prop up my back a few seconds later. The poor clerk was ready to call the paramedics.  I asked for a drink of water, and the clerk brought me a cool bottle of water.  I took a few sip, relaxed and talked the clerk out of calling paramedics, wrote the $5k check, and walked out of the store about 15 minutes later.  So this can be scary, not only for the affected person, but also the public.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

1948JOY
on 8/6/11 11:49 am - TN
I had rny surgery on April 13, 2011. I have had high blood pressure since 1988. While in the hospital right after surgery my blood pressure dropped quickly. My doctor had clipped a blood vessel while stapling my stomach smaller and caused me to bleed alot. I had to go in icu for a day and half and be given three pints of blood. I did fine. But my blood pressure has been low (110/70) since and I have not been on blood pressure medicine since.  My pc doctor said He can't explain how I got off before loosing weight.  By the way I am down 61 pounds so far and feel great.  You aren't alone!
LossLeader
on 8/7/11 12:19 am
Actually, my bp was down pretty much to normal immediately after the operation, before my massive weight loss. Interesting!

Medley411
on 8/6/11 3:55 pm
my last check up was 90/54.  I just went through the whole cardiac thing after passing out at work. My heart is fine, I was told add more salt. The cardiologist suggested pickles and canned soup. I got some pickles, and from time to time I have a can of soup, I like progresso tomato with basil. In the heat I add ice,,,, it's like tomato juice. I have not had any dizzy spells or passed out since. Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views