TMI: BM Question

babybooo828
on 8/14/11 3:16 pm
 This is way TMI, but I want to share to see if anyone has any experience or advice.

I feel like I am always constipated. Not too much so, because I usually go around 3 times a week and go alot when I get. I think the magnisium that I take with my caclium helps a lot. Before I started taking the magnisium, I really felt constipated. I would take stool softner with laxatives to help and once, I even used an enemia. 

Well Saturday night, I was away visiting my father. He works at a summer camp all summer and has to stay there (He's the Kitchen manager). I ate 1/2 a small slice of meatleaf (maybe a bit smalled than the size of a deck of cards) and I had a few bites of salad. I don't know if the stuff didn't agree with me or if I got some sort of bug, but at around 8:30 (dinner was at 6:30), I started feeling my stomach doing the gurgles. It wasn't too back at first. I took a gas pills hoping that it was just gas and would get better, but it didn't. The gurgling got worse and worse and my stomach was cramping. It was terrible painful. Well, at 11:30pm, I was still pooping. It was my regular, hard poops. Finally around 12ish, I had diarrhea. Then, one of the girls we share the cabin with came down and wanted to use teh bathroom before she went to bed. I didn't want to have to go while she was in there, so I walked up to the kitchen to use that bathroom (Maybe 200 feet away). Well I made it but, someone was in there. So then I had to walk to the bext closes bathroom int he Rec Hall (maybe another 5 feet away). Well, that was when a huge mess was made! I tried to get to the bathroom, but I didn't make it. Every time I took a step, diarhhea came out. I just gave into being a mess and ran to the bathroom. I got there and things weren't as bad as I imagined. I had this huge overnight pad on because I had my period. All the poo stayed on it and I just had to carefully remove it. I sat down and **** my brains out. By this time, I was so week and tired, but clearly needed a shower, so I had to make my mom up to help me get a shower. 

This is the second time this has happened to me. I go from being constipated to having diarhhea and it's a few hours of pain. I don't know if there is anything I can do to prevent this in the future or not? Has this happened to anyone else.

I was thinking of taking a laxative, but I then thought that might just make the cramping worse. I was thinking it would lesson the time of the process. I didn't know what to do. 

mandajolyn
on 8/14/11 3:49 pm - Tallahassee, FL
If you have diarrhea I wouldn't take a laxative! I have the same issues, I go from one extreme to the other! Get so backed up i have to resort to an enema and then sometimes i have bad episodes where i cant seem to get off the toilet. Maybe there was something in the meatloaf that didn't agree with your system? Does it happen regularly? My dr thinks I have ibs (irritable bowel syndrome) make sure you're drinking LOTS of liquid so you don't get dehydrated! If it keeps up, I'd call your Dr.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

carl25
on 8/14/11 3:59 pm
Sorry to hear about your situation,I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago,after eating a cup of chili.I called my surgion to tell him,he said to take some activia yogert with probiotic cultures.So I tried this (at this point Iwould have tried anything)and within a couple hours I was back to normal.So from now on I get in one yogert daily.  I hope this will help you too! good luck.. hang in there your doing great with yoour weight  loss!!!! 
Pulchritude
on 8/14/11 4:23 pm - NY
This happens to me *all* the time since surgery!!!

I will be constipated and not use the bathroom for days and then when I finally go it's the "hard poops" you talked about followed by diarrhea that *literally* will not let up until every spoonful of food is gone from my stomach.

The cramping is unimaginably painful in the process and my body becomes very weak. And if that weren't bad enough, the knowledge that Ihave literally flushed all my hard-earned protein and nutrients for the day down the toilet is horrible.

I'm not sure why this is either, babybooo, but if you find out or if anyone else here knows, do tell!!!

jdragr
on 8/14/11 9:40 pm - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
I am pre op and have IBS. When I talked to my surgeon about the effects of the surgery on my IBS he said it would actually be better because I would not have the amount of food to process. I would call your dr too and I'll be interested to see the answer. I am hoping for improvement with my IBS after surgery not being worse.
SW 296

Most Active
Recent Topics