RE: Female Question

babybooo828
on 8/19/11 12:08 am
Just wanted to add an update to my original post which can be found here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4439369/Female-Questio n/#36705667

I got my period again! Ugh. I had my period July 23 through July 26 (which was normal for me). Then on July 27, I started on birth control. On August 6 I got my period again through August 14. Yesterday was my first blank pill and I wokr up today, August 19, with my period. This is just crazy.

I'm away from home right now, but as soon as I get back home, I will be calling my GYN office. I usually see the nurse practicioner, but I'm going to ask to see the actually doctor (which means it will be a few weeks wait until I can get an appointment).

This is so F'ed up. In the meantime, I guess I will be dealing with more cramps and bloating.

I'm sure this has something to do with the way my body was absorbing the pill differently since my surgery. This never happened as a pre-op. I would get my period right on time (even when I took active pills continuously), but never this many periods so close together, and the last one lasting so long.

Any advice on questions to ask the doctor or statements to say for when I do get an appointment?

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 1:22 am - RI
hey girl..

you are taking the pill? I would suggest trying to find another option (Nuvaring, IUD, etc).... from what I've read and what my gyno said: we don't absorb the BC pill correctly, therefore higher chance of becoming pregnant.  I am going to my gyno after surgery to have the IUD or the nuvaring... haven't decided yet. But do your research ;)

As far as the whacky periods... I've read on other blogs that this is normal. You won't be able to really track your ovulation & your periods "to the tee" right away. I guess it's due to the higher estrogen levels in your system due to burning fat (estrogen is stored in fat)..

Hope this helps!

babybooo828
on 8/19/11 1:34 am
I have wanted an IUD since last year, but my insurance won't pay for it. I think maybe if the doctor submits something stating that the pill won't work for me, they will pay for it, but I'm not sure.

At this point I don't need the birth control for actuall birth control... its supossed to be helping make my periods better and not worse. Eventually though, I will need actual birth control (if I get into another relationship again). 

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 1:58 am - RI
I''ve been on the nuvaring in the past...and it was awesome!!! I am leaning more towards that because I DO want children in the future....there are a lot more risks with the IUD.

Nuvaring should be covered by your insurance....and you can always ask ur doc for samples (which my doc always did)....and you can get coupons for it through the nuvaring website

p.s. good luck!!!
Pholaris
on 8/19/11 1:50 am
Not only is the pill not doing what is supposed to right now, but you are also risking getting pregnant because it is not working effectively.

I had the same issues with the pill and I am really glad we used condoms while I was still on the pill post op. My doc switched me to nuvaring and things are much much more stable- thought I still get some breakthrough periods every now and then, but that is my normal for me due to my PCOS. I am hoping things improve on that front soon.
Pregnancy%20ticker
babybooo828
on 8/19/11 2:05 am
I'm not risking getting pregnant because I'm not having sex. When I do have sex (if I'm in a relationship), I always use condoms to prevent against STDs. 

Right now, my main concern is getting my periods to be less painful and lighter. While trying to do that, I am getting them more often. 

Pholaris
on 8/19/11 2:20 am
I hear you there. While a lot of PCOS pts have missed periods, I am on the other side of the equation and I get frequent periods that are both heavy and painful. The Nuvaring has definitely helped with those and though I still do get breakthrough periods from time to time- they are definitely much lighter and a lot less painful.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Heidi L.
on 8/19/11 3:04 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I haven't tried BCPs since before surgery, but when I did I did continuous. Is there a reason why you have been using the placebos?

The NuvaRing may be a good choice if for some reason the doctor won't let you do continuous birth control pills.

I always wonder why women are having periods on BCPs when they don't have to...Much less risk of having an embryo implant when you don't have that estrogen surge every month.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Heidi L.
on 8/19/11 3:07 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I should note that many women are allergic to the NuvaRing. It is non-latex but some are still allergic to the chemicals that they use to produce it. I swelled up so bad that the thing popped out on it's own on the first day. Took lots of benadryl to stop all the swelling.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

labellavita1982
on 8/19/11 3:45 am - Neenah, WI
I'm sorry. I hope you are able to get it figured out.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
Most Active
Recent Topics