Headaches anyone?

kilburn_k76
on 8/19/11 10:43 pm
I am just @ 3 months from my rny....and since last Saturday I've been waking up with a dull, aching headache. I used to get them pretty much daily before surgery, but was told at the info seminar that they should cease after surgery and they have, until last weekend. I am having a SMALL cup of coffee for the first time since surgery to see if it's lack of caffeine....

Has anyone else experienced headaches post-rny? I go for my 3 month follow up this week, so I'm definitely going to mention it to the doc..but in the meantime....this sucks!

Dee2011
on 8/19/11 11:19 pm - PA
I too have been waking with headaches.  I was told it could be caused by dehydration.  I am 4 months out.  So I started drinking alot of water prior to goin go bed. But I still have gotten them.  I have drank coffee thinking it was the caffeine being missing...but still get them.  So I am going to go to the chiropractor and see if that helps.  Hope you are feeling better.
FLJeepGirl
on 8/20/11 12:00 am
I get the dull headaches, but it is usually right before I go to bed.  I find mine occur when I'm overly tired - I think it is my body's way of telling me to get some rest.  Hope you feel better soon!
                      Leslie
       Lap-Band 4.11.08                                     RNY Revision 8.1.11
       HW 276/ SW 259/ LW 219                       HW 283/ CW 218

TamaraL
on 8/20/11 12:01 am
I get them when I am fixing to start my period and if my hormones are fluctuating.  I have PCOS and get really bad facial hair so when its bad, my headaches are bad!!!

tamara

Christina D.
on 8/20/11 1:15 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I just had my 6 month follow up and mentioned to the doctor that I have a headache and dizzyness pretty much everyday.  His answer was that for many years when we were heavy that our posture was horrible and now that we are losing the weight our posture is becoming better so now our bodies are trying to adjust.  I am also guessing that it is because the spine is probably out of alignment, I know that mine sure is! 

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/20/11 1:37 am
For me and a lot of other post ops - dehydration causes headaches and we get dehydrated very easily. Up your water - have a bottle of water by the bed and start on it first thing in the morning. I was doing my 64 ounces of water a day and still had a nagging headache. I upped my intake to 86 ounces a day and haven't had a headache since. I do drink coffee so I know that can also be a contributing factor. If you do coffee make sure to do extra water to combat the caffeine. My doc said for ecery cup of coffee to have 2 cups of water. Good Luck - hope your headache goes away.
Jen 9 + yrs post op
kilburn_k76
on 8/20/11 4:25 am
Thanks everyone!!

I have been having a hard time getting all my liquids in....I TRY to get 64oz daily....but I know I fall short...this whole headache thing just started so I don't know if not drinking enough may be catching up to me....

The spine alignment is a very interesting theory! I never thought of that...but it makes total sense!

dasie
on 8/20/11 7:49 am
I did...to the point I would stop and take my blood pressure to see if it was elevated.  My high BP use to give me baaaaad headaches pre-op.  Then I also wondered if my thyroid meds needed to be altered.  I have my yearly thyroid check in a couple weeks.  I have once again been experiencing intermittent headaches.  I figure it is hormonal or weather related.  I haven't found a pattern.

exohexoh
on 8/20/11 8:14 am - West Chester, PA
 i've been getting them for a few months now. concluded with the neurologist that they are stress related which is awesome since i start grad school on monday and will have more stress than ever! i also constantly have knots all up and down my back

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

rbb825
on 8/20/11 6:41 pm - Suffern, NY
That is great that you are getting them less frequently than you did preop, that happened to me too.  There could be  a few reasons for the return of them.  It could be from dehydration - increase your fluids (not caffeine) - caffeine only dehydrates you.  If it was withdrawal from caffeine, it would have happened along time ago, it wouldn't have taken 3 months, so don't get yourself hooked on the stuff again.  Stick to protein drinks, water, sf powder packs you add to water bottles, G2 and other electrolyte waters with no calories or sugar.  You need to get between 64 and 80 ounces of fluids per day.

It could also be allergies - this is the beginning of hayfever season which can cause runny nose, itchy eyes, headaches, sneezing etc.  Sinus troubles can also cause headaches.

Do you have your period?  Hormones can also cause headaches.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 32 views
Recent Topics