so frustrating!

Chickenboob
on 8/22/11 10:47 pm - Rockland, Canada

I only have myself to blame on this one. I am at 4 weeks post-op today. Even though I swore not to look at the scale again for two more weeks. I weighed myself. exactly the same. The same as last week, and the same as the week before. Sigh.

I know it is a tool. I know that I didn't have unrealistic expectations. Although we were told up to 7 pounds of weight loss per week for the first 3 months, I knew that wouldn't be me. but now that 3 month honeymoon period is a third over and I am terrified that this is it. That it won't go down. It is so hard to hear of people who are just a few months out and have lost 100+ pounds. I am happy for them of course, and envious too, it truth be told. But I thought 1 pound a week after the first week wasn't unreasonable and in a year I would be 50-ish pounds downand I would be fine, even happy with that.

It feels the same as when DH and I were trying to get pregnant and couldn't while everyone around us got pregnant this first month or 2 of trying. I just have that same sense of anger, frustration and injustice, even though it is nobody's fault.

I am getting my protein in, I am getting my 2L of water in. I am starting to walk I am journalling. Why then I ask? Why does my body act like this?

Sorry for the pity party. I am just so angry and upset and I can't stuff my face so venting is my only option.

Excuse me... i have to have my cry now.

Kim H.
on 8/22/11 10:57 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Ohh...I'm sorry! I think a lot of people are afraid that they're not losing enough or fast enough. I had a 2 week stall after week 3 but I upped my calories and ended up losing this week for the first time. Remember that no two bodies are the same so play around and see if something different works for you: Maybe up your protein or calories? Start to walk 3-5x/week? Split your 3 meals into 6 or vice-versa? No matter what, remember that you're not alone and that it's not a race. When I start to get upset (which is weekly) I try to focus on how I feel and the idea that I may not lose quickly but that I will NOT gain it back. I will lose that weight forever...and that is worth the wait or time it takes. I'm not sure if this will make you feel any better...but I hope so! Take care and keep us posted!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
dasie
on 8/22/11 11:02 pm

Seven pounds per week for the first 3 months is a lot of weight loss.  I was never told that, but all programs are different. 

Your story is precicly why I did not have a scale in my house.  I would not have been able to stay off of it, and I would have stayed discouraged.  I was a slow loser but a steady loser.  I stalled fairly often, and they lasted for weeks at times.  Because I tried to weigh no more than every 3 to 4 weeks, if I weighed then 3 weeks later weighed the same I knew I had hit a plateau that was probably ending and the next time I weighed I would be 5 to 8 pounds lighter.  I lost around 8 to 10 pounds per month, closer to 8.  I think I only lost 20is the first month, I'd have to check my tracker, then it settled in.

Take it one day at a time and walk as much as possible.  I need major gym time because I am too lean, but while in the losing phase I walked a lot...as much as I could.  It was my number one focus.  My surgeon said make the most of the first 6 months.  Of course you keep losing after 6 months it's just that during that time it's a little easier.

You will do fine.  I know it's frustrating just stay focused, and I look forward to reading about your success.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/22/11 11:03 pm - Windsor, Canada
Some people find that their bodies work differently. Ive heard of people whose body were Like yours where the initial loss was very slow and then BAM! A whole bunch of weight would just drop. I would suggest putting the scale away for a while and using your clothes as a gauge. Trust me it WILL come off but I think you may find it takes a while to get your body going. In the meantime make sure you are doing well with protein and water

Come to the Ontario board!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/11 11:10 pm - OH
I don't normally open posts about weight frustration becuase they frustrate ME, but...

I'm not sure why you think there is only a 3-month "honeymoon" period.  MANY people actually lose MORE WEIGHT in months 3-6 than in months 1-3 because the body is in shock because of the surgery and because you are eating SO little that it goes into starvation mode, etc.  So chase that 3-month idea out of your head... and yes... be patient... you WILL lose weight.  The people who lose those huge amounts very quickly also usually have a LOT of weight to lose so they lose faster.  Some people also include pre-op weight loss in their statistics, so they may be including as much as SIX MONTHS of pre-op weight loss!  If you are  this upset already, you will do NOTHING but drive yourself crazy by looking at other people's stats, so I will suggest that you do what I did... for at least a while, completely stop looking at other people's tickers... stop even opening posts that are clearly about how much or how fast other people are losing.  

It WILL happen for you... I promise... but PLEASE don' torture yourself with all the negative thoughts and comparisons.  It does nothing but make you unncecessarily miserable.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SpyCbyN8re
on 8/22/11 11:13 pm - Lehigh Acres, FL
I'm also 4 weeks out and have been in a stall for the last two weeks. I lost 18lbs the first two weeks and then bounced the same 3lbs up and down after that.  Even more frustrating to me because I wanted to be below 300 so badly and I sit at 301.8 LOL   I weigh in again on Thursday so we'll see if I've broken the stall of it's continuing.  Either way, it's ok with me..... your body just had MAJOR surgery performed on it.  It needs a chance to catch up and recover.  Try not to beat yourself up over what you've lost or haven't lost.  It will come!  Relax.

Have you taken your measurements?  I sure hope so!! I took mine the day before surgery just for times like this.  I did my measurements again two nights ago and much to my surprise and total happiness, I've lost 14.5 inches!!!!!!!!!! So yes, my body may not be giving up the lbs on the scale.... but it sure is dropping the inches.  If you haven't taken the measurements do them today!! The next plateau or stall you hit, make sure to take the measurements again and see where it's in comparison. 

Try to keep your head up, stick to your plan and get moving! 
Chickenboob
on 8/22/11 11:27 pm - Rockland, Canada
Thanks for your support, I was having a moment.

I know I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. So Iwill keep doing it.

I took the battery out of my scale and gave it to my son to hide from me until DH can get home and take it to the battery recycling depot.

I tried on a pair of pants that were too tight to get on before the surgery. I can get them on, but they aren't too comfortable...yet...

Of course you are all right, I need to have a frank discussion with the Bariatric team about their "slide show" when I have my next appointment!

Thanks again, sorry I was so glum... I am not normally like that. But I didn't stuff my face and that alone is progress.

Kirsten
Lilly2004
on 8/23/11 1:36 am
I consider the "honeymoon period" to be about 9-12 months after surgery.  Everyone that I have talked to lose weight pretty easily in that time frame, some even longer.  So don't stress. You have plenty of time and it will come off.  I was the same way - my weight would stay the same for a few weeks and then I would suddenly lose 10 pounds overnight. 
RNY - 8 years post-op
Trying to lose regain

poet_kelly
on 8/23/11 1:48 am - OH
When they said up to seven pounds per week for the first three months, I hope they meant an average of seven pounds,  not actually seven each week.  Because weight loss just doesn't work like that.

Also, there is not a three months honeymoon period.  Most people talk about a 12 or 18 month honeymoon, meaning the time it's easiest to lose the weight, the time you are still malabsorbing some of the calories you eat.  However, that does not mean that you automatically just stop losing at the end of that "honeymoon" period.

Your body is acting like this because it's normal.  That's how weight loss works, at least for most of us. 

Put the scale away.  Put it somewhere that it's hard to get to.  Stay off it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 2:35 am - Boston, MA
 I felt just like you at a month out and I was stalled too and look where I am now? I do think it's pretty unrealistic to think you will lose 7 lbs a week for 3 months? that's a ton!!! I think the average is more like 10-12 a month atleast for me and other RNY friends I have that's our average.  Just stay in your calorie range, get in your fluid and chill the weight will come off =)
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics