Bread Is it Ok Ever?? Stretch Your Pouch?

Rachael Richardson
on 8/26/11 7:10 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
I may have missed this post somewhere...but when can you have bread after RNY?  I know I can not eat bread like I used to..stuffing myself and eating it with tons of butter. 

I would like  half a slice of whole wheat toast with eggs or half of a turkey sandwhich.  Will bread stretch your pouch?  Or is it ok to eat it within healthy moderation? 

I am doing good so far..lostt 44 lbs and feel great!

Donna

poet_kelly
on 8/26/11 7:21 am - OH
Just about anything can stretch your pouch if you eat too much of it over and over again, including bread.  Reasonable amounts will not stretch your pouch.

Some people don't tolerate bread real well after RNY.  It makes their stomach hurt.  Others tolerate it just fine.  I have no problem with it.  Some people do better with toasted bread than with soft bread.

Just make sure you're not skimping on your protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathy B.
on 8/26/11 7:58 am - ME
I was able to eat bread about 3-4 weeks after surgery. Small bites and chew well.

Marlee
on 8/26/11 8:01 am
Nickles35 Multigrain - 1 slice
But, FYI, I was well over 16 months out before I even started to eat bread. 
Some people tolerate bread ok - I was not one of them.  And now, at 28 months out,  I'm very careful about what kind I eat and how much.  It can still cause problems for me ...
Mysstwalker
on 8/26/11 8:07 am - Riverside, CA
RNY on 01/30/08 with
2 years out before I attempted bread, now I only eat Julian bakery lowcarb bread or lowcarb tortillas. Regular bread just forms a ball in my pouch and makes me miserable.

JessicaBee
on 8/26/11 8:14 am - CA
I could eat a few bites shy of a piece of WW toast a month after my RNY. Unless you eat a lot of food over and over again . You will not really stretch your pouch.

shellb58
on 8/26/11 8:59 am - WA
at about three mths out I have been eating Bagel thins toasted. And only eat 1/2 with peanut butter, or egg salad. Very yummy.
shelley veturis            
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 10:15 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Even 6 years post-op, bread tends to make my pouch uncomfortable.

I just use other things in place of bread; multigrain crackers,
toasted whole grain bread, etc., but only small amounts.

Good luck
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 10:24 am - FL
All I know is that my NUT said no bread until after 6 months and never white bread.  Around month 7 she said one serving of any complex carb a day and that is one slice of whole wheat or whole grain bread.  I loved bread before RNY, but actually now I don't miss it at all.
nana2boys
on 8/26/11 11:54 am
I'm 7 weeks out and the Nut let me have one slice of whole wheat bread, but it has to be toasted.  I was just starting week 3  and it was on my list.  I have had no problems with it nor anyother foods.

Most Active
Recent Topics