iron

April E.
on 9/1/11 1:02 pm - Bogart, GA
Anyone know of a better iron to take than Proferrin ES? I am taking it 3 times a day per my surgeon's office and my iron is down from 20 to 12 in 3 months, my ferritin is down from 8.7 to 5.7 in 3 months. It's getting ridiculous!

shrinkinphatgirl
on 9/1/11 2:10 pm - WI
Do u take it with vitamin c?
April E.
on 9/1/11 5:00 pm - Bogart, GA
No I don't. I didn't think I needed to since this is one of th highest absorbed iron's out there.

Shanneee
on 9/1/11 4:49 pm - MN
VitaLady carries the kind of iron we need and I have had a good experience with it so far.  I'd order from her.
April E.
on 9/1/11 5:01 pm - Bogart, GA
Vitalady carries a number of different iron supplements, including this one. I don't order this from her becasue I can get it elsewhere cheaper. However, she may be a good source for info so I will shoot her an email and see what she has to say.

poet_kelly
on 9/2/11 12:52 am - OH
Hmmm.  That's pretty unusual that Proferrin isn't working for you.  I would email vitalady and ask her advice.  Ask her what dose she would suggest, too.  Maybe you're just not taking enough, although three times a day seems like it should be plenty.

Is your doc thinking of doing iron infusions?  Sounds like that might be a good idea at this point.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

April E.
on 9/2/11 1:18 am - Bogart, GA
I did email vitalady last night to see what she thinks. From what I have read online Proferrin is the best iron out there. I was iron deficient pre-surgery also and on the regular iron (ferrous sulfate) 3 times a day before surgery. I had surgery on 12/30....here are my numbers:
8/5/10- 17 (instructed to start iron three times daily)
9/28/10- 21
12/7/10- 25
3/16/11- 19 (first post-surgery check- doubled the iron I was taking- bariatric advantage)
5/10/11- 14 (started proferrin three times daily)
6/9/11- 20
9/1/11- 12

So when my iron level was 14 my PCP wanted me to do iron infusions. Then I mentioned that the surgeon's office had started me on a new iron supplement and asked if I could wait to see if that helped before going to hematologist. She said yes, but if that doesn't help in 3 months I need to go to hematologist. The next check (which was only a month since I had my 6 mo f/u with my surgeon and wanted to see if the numbers had changed at all) was much better so it seemed the proferrin was doing great. Surgeon wanted to check again at 3 months....and we see it sucks again. I switched PCP's now so I have a msg in to her to see what she wants to do at this point. I am also going to call my surgeon's office and see what they say.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/2/11 9:52 am
I used to take proffering ES. 3 x a day. plus a lot of red meat, and other stuff. 
My iron and ferritin dropped. 
A few weeks ago I got iron infusions. My iron is normal now. Ferritin 93.  

Why won't you consider infusions?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

April E.
on 9/2/11 10:18 am - Bogart, GA
I just don't want to do iron infusions. Unfortunately my surgeon's office said that is what I need to do so I have an appt with a hematologist in a couple of weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics