First cupcake since surgery--did not dump--and that scares me a little!

shannon0731
on 9/16/11 3:23 am - LA
Is that crazy or what?  Now granted, it was a little cup cake,  not a mini but not a huge gourmet one. and I nibbled on it off and on for like 3 hours! I guess I am afraid if I don;t dump--I know I can NEVER lose control! The girl brought more today and I refused. I am hoping I did not dump because I ate it so slowly, the sugar did not rush into my system all at one time.

any one else have an experience like mine?  Kinda funny, at first, I did not want to have RNY because of the dumping!! Now that I know what it really means, I just want to know that I have that over my head to keep me on the straight and narrow!!

Shannon
I'm Ready!

TamaraL
on 9/16/11 3:45 am
if you nibbled on it it probable was not enough sugar in your system at one time.   I can dump one time and then the next time not dump.  If I eat something sweet I usually try to make sure I have had protien near the same time.  I do not have sweets often but occationally.

Susan Marie from Bariatriceating.com says to eat 3 bites of a sweet slowly and savor the taste.  I have done this and just enjoy those small bites and move on and I don't dump from that.

And yes, Im a dumper.  I dump on high fat foods and sweets

Tamara

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/16/11 4:32 am - Baltimore, MD
This is a good reason why I always say "if you don't want to find out you don't dump, don't test it." The knowledge can sometimes be more destructive than the fear of dumping.

Glad it turned out ok for you.
bittybabynurse
on 9/16/11 4:58 am, edited 9/16/11 4:59 am - MN
I don't think I ever want to test it, just in case! I'm not a sweets person, so I'm more worried about dumping on fatty foods. I just don't want to know - its easier to live in perpetual fear of dumping for me!

I agree with the PP who said that it might not have been enough at one time to dump. You may still be susceptible to dumping - just go with that, lol!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
macjuicy
on 9/16/11 5:09 am, edited 9/16/11 5:10 am - FL
I dont want to preach but after everything you have been thru watching yourself losing weight... why even try something like a cupcake knowing its bad for us especially causing the dumps... I never get when people write I ate sweets and didnt dump... I just think its not a good thing to eat trigger foods like chips or sweets.

Read the stories of people that have had gastric and are even fatter than they were before surgery now... probably asking the same question as you... you are way to early out to even be trying these things. my two cents

Good Luck

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 5:18 am - Boston, MA
 Well I guess it depends on what your expectations are from the surgery.  Do you plan to NEVER have a treat again?  If so that's great.. me personally my plan is to learn moderation and I think I have.. I'm excited that I don't think about food all the time or crave crazy sugar things, not one tiny bit.  That said I HAVE tried them.. my 11 yr old is a master cupcake maker and makes a batch every weekend (fancy cute ones!) and while I haven't eaten an entire one.. I've eaten half and I've had other sweets along the way and I have never dumped and I'm thrilled that I don't dump.  I don't think there is anything wrong with having a cupcake once in awhile or birthday cake or a few chips.  If they are trigger foods and make you crave more best to stay away.. me personally this surgery and way of eating has given me the ability to eat a bit or two of this or that and walk away satisfied and I think that's a great approach to keeping it off.  If I thought I could never have a cadbury egg again I would probably obsess about them!!!!  but I can... so I don't =)
macjuicy
on 9/16/11 5:28 am - FL
On September 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM Pacific Time, berlyfly wrote:
 Well I guess it depends on what your expectations are from the surgery.  Do you plan to NEVER have a treat again?  If so that's great.. me personally my plan is to learn moderation and I think I have.. I'm excited that I don't think about food all the time or crave crazy sugar things, not one tiny bit.  That said I HAVE tried them.. my 11 yr old is a master cupcake maker and makes a batch every weekend (fancy cute ones!) and while I haven't eaten an entire one.. I've eaten half and I've had other sweets along the way and I have never dumped and I'm thrilled that I don't dump.  I don't think there is anything wrong with having a cupcake once in awhile or birthday cake or a few chips.  If they are trigger foods and make you crave more best to stay away.. me personally this surgery and way of eating has given me the ability to eat a bit or two of this or that and walk away satisfied and I think that's a great approach to keeping it off.  If I thought I could never have a cadbury egg again I would probably obsess about them!!!!  but I can... so I don't =)
I know what a cupcake tatse like no surprises, I have been fat all my life... Im over 40 and have been thru hell with my surgery and diabetes, I have no interest in tatsing sweets or high fat foods again.

I have no interest being an obese person ever again, so if that means no sweets or fatty foods than so be it.

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

cajungirl
on 9/16/11 5:59 am
Never say never, this is for LIFE.  Temptations happen, you probably don't think you will ever at this point but more then likely at some point you will test the waters.  I bet there is not one long-term vet on the board that can say they've never tried ???? since surgery.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/16/11 10:01 am - Baltimore, MD
I said that too at 4 mos. out! Just like that too. At the same time as I reamed people out on this very board for eating strawberries cuz, you know, strawberries are...CARBS!

:)

This is not to say you won't hold fast to your vigilance but don't say  never. It will come back to bite you. I dump but discovered about a year post-op that if I eat a nice healthy, protein packed meal, I can usually take 2-3 bites of a fully loaded dessert with no ill effects. I am grateful for that, both the fact that I can still have a taste from time to time and the fact that I can ONLY fit a few bites in.

But at the stage where you are yes...fear the sugar. Swear off the sugar. If that's what propels you to success...preach it honey!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

immafatgirl
on 9/16/11 6:04 pm - KY
i feel as you do. when i stop and think why i had the surgery , it was because of the foods i had eaten in the past, the way i ate them, the amounts. im afraid that kind of hunger will return. the more you eat the more you CAN eat . i made a promise to myself. that if i get this surgery i will never eat bad food again. although the calcium caramel and chocolate bites are delish .... but i never want to gain my weight back and will do whatever it takes not to.. its just not worth it to me either ..  
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views