Where to you purchase your vitamins?

babybooo828
on 9/17/11 8:12 am
I am wondering the different places that others purchase their vitamins and what good deals you may get?

I am really looking for a good price for calcium citrate. I currently purchase mine at wal-mart, but the dosage isn't perfect. I can get less than what I need in a dose or more than what I need in a dose. I kind of feel like I am wasting my money because I get calcium citrate that is 630mg with two pills and I know that I cannot absorb all of that at once. I also have to buy a bottle monthly since I take 2 pills twice a day, and have just decided to up that to three times a day so that I am getting enough. 

I am also interested in where you buy any and all of your vitamins to see if I can get better deals. 

Thanks in advance! 

poet_kelly
on 9/17/11 8:28 am - OH
I use ENS from Celebrate as my multi and it also provides two doses of calcium.  It's expensive but I liked it so I've been using it but I am planning to go buy something like Centrum when I run out next time.  I've tired of the ENS now.  Unfortunately for me, I stocked up big time last time I ordered because I had a 50% discount.

The last couple times I've bought calcium citrate, I've ordered the caramel chews from Bariatric Advantage.  They're yummy so I never forget to take them.  for a while they've had a deal where you buy two, get one free.  Last time I also got free shipping, but that was because they somehow just forgot to ship my order and when I called them a whole month later to find out where the heck my calcium was, they said they would send it priority mail and take off the shipping charge.  I like the Calcet creamy bites, too, but they are expensive.  For cheap(er) calcium citrate, I use Upcal D which I order from Colonial Medical.

I get my iron from drugstore.com.  I use Sundown Perfect Iron and recently got a buy one get one half off or some sort of deal like that.

I get my D3, zinc, A and magnesium oxide from vitalady.  I think her prices are reasonable.

I get my vitamin C at whatever store I happen to be going to when I'm about to run out and buy whatever brand is cheaper.  I think the bottle I currently have is from Meijer.

I do B12 injections.  I had to pay $2.50 copay for the vial of B12.  My insurance won't pay for the needles but I got those at the pharmacy at Kroger for about 25 cents a piece.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wynter57
on 9/17/11 8:52 am - Panama City, FL
Kelly, I just went to Bariatric Advantage to look at those caramel chews. If I understand this correctly, one would have to take 8 of these per day? That means that one bag of 60 would only last 7.5 days. Am I correct?

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 9/17/11 8:55 am - OH
If you wanted 2000 mg of calcium a day, yes, that would be correct.  I think many people just do 1500 mg calcium so that would be six a day.  I don't use them for my only source of calcium because I use the Updal D too sometimes but the chewy ones are like a  nice treat for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Debra P.
on 9/17/11 8:32 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I get all my supliments from Vitacost.com.  They have great prices. 

Rena H.
on 9/17/11 8:35 am
I haven't had surgery yet; however, I just bought some vitamins and supplements from Puritans Pride because they are having a buy one get two free sale at the moment. Here is the link if you are interested. I am trying to get in the habit of taking supplements before surgery. Best Wishes!

http://www.puritan.com/?top&cm_sp=topnav-_-homepage-_-Home_P age&cm_re=HomePage-_-TopNav-_-Home_Page
Ladytazz
on 9/17/11 8:45 am
I shop around to get the best deals.  I buy things like Tender Iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin D at Vitalady because I can't find those things in the dosages I need anywhere else except there.
I get my multivitamins and B complex at Walmart.
The rest I get at places like Puritan Pride (especially when they have a buy one get two sale), vitacost and places like that.  When I find a good sale I really stock up.
I get my calcium and some other stuff when it's on sale at http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ns/calcium.html.  Their calcium citrate is 500 mg so I only have to take one capsule per dose instead of 2.  They are big, though.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

vitalady
on 9/17/11 8:55 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
These are NOT 500mg elemental calcium.

I had them made way back in 2000 or so, and only later realized that in our discussion of that formula, we never got on the same page about "elemental" vs salts.

Those tested to about 145mg elemental.

500mg elemental would be IMMENSE in size.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

shesha81
on 9/17/11 9:07 am - Gardner, MA
I get all of mine from CVS, they always have BOGO sales and it is super cheap that way. I use the CVS brand of calcium citrate minis I take 3 tabs at a time 3 times a day. Three tabs equals 600mg of calcium at a time. The bottle has 200 tabs for $11.99 and then you BOGO. I also use the CVS brand spectravite senior 2 per day they sell a big bottle with 365 pills for $19 and then it is BOGO. I also take CVS generic Vitron C(iron supplement) and whichever brand is cheapest or BOGO for biotin, b complex and sublingual b12.
Alisha  RNY (7/6/11)  HW 284.8/SW281/CW186.2/GW175   

richarddavis196
on 9/17/11 9:30 am - VA
I am still pre-op, but have been stalking the vitamin discussions trying to find the best values, sources and correct dose info.

It is funny this thread came up today. I just came back from Rite Aid with some deals (I hope). I tend to shop Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS with all of their BOGOs and discounts. Today I got  two bottles of Rite Aid multi vitamins ( 365 pills per bottle and 100% RDA in each pill). That covers a years worth of 2 a day and only cost me 8.79$ a bottle (after bogo and Wellness card discount. I bought 2 of the Rite Aid brand of calcium Citrate plus (315 mg each, 120 tablets) for 8.30$ after discounts.  I plan on cutting some of the calcuim in half to achieve 472mg per "dose".

Lots of deals out there, just need to keep an eye out for your area, sign up for coupons and member rewards programs. Crazy, but I try to make it fun.

Most Active
Recent Topics