Ah Ha Moments

Mary E.
on 9/29/11 10:33 pm - Castle Hayne, NC
Is anyone else feeling really wierd in their new body.  This may sound stupid but people talk to me now that would have never given me the time of day before.  I have been doing presentations for our board for 3 & 1/2 years and none of them have ever taken the opportunity to say anything to me other than the niceties of hi / how r ya / etc... the last few months most of them have made a point to come talk to me - some acknowledging how good I look but all striking up conversation and at least acting like I was actually their and they really saw me for the first time.  Also, I just went to my first conference since this surgery and all of us girls always go dance in the bar and enjoy ourselves during our time away.  But this year - I never had to by a single drink, wa**** on at least twice( my girlfriend said the third guy was too but I think he was just friendly), was told I was HOT (can you believe that a word I have never had said to me ever in my life), and even in normal situations like the grocery store and places people actually look at me and see me and don't just look past me.  I know  this sounds wierd but it kinda ****** me off because I am the exact same person I was before the surgery.   I never even got this much attention back in high school and college before I got fat.  It was exciting in the beginning but now it really ****** me off - r others feeling this way?  I know I need to get over it and move on.  Sorry u guys had to listen to me ramble but I am confused and not very comfortable with who I am right now.
May God Bless us All and please give me the strength and determination to do what it takes to be healthy and active again! - Beth    
AnneGG
on 9/30/11 12:25 am
I think what you are experiencing is understandable- to us, we are the same person we always have been, and to others we are not the same in their perception of us. It's just the way it is and the way people are- nothing personal.

I think it takes awhile to get comfortable with our new self image, and anger is part of that process. We go through stages of emotions until we get to acceptance.

But I understand you being pissed off. And you are right- there is nothing to be gained in staying pissed off.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 1:47 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sadly, in our present society, personal appearance means SO much more than it ever did before.
And it is considered socially OK now to express warmer intentions without it being insulting.

It's like being a brand-new little teenager, isn't it?  You just kind of want to hide away from all the attention.  And as for the being pissed about being noticed now, yeah, been there, done that. 

There's not a lot we can do about it except to let it go.  As you get used to your new Self, you will be
able to deal with the admiration.  

And remember:  just because someone makes a move on you doesn't mean you have to take them up on it!!

Just smile and say Thank you (if you mean it!), and pass on.

Best wishes, 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 373 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 340 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 173 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 215 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 123 views