Probably an Ulcer

babybooo828
on 10/4/11 1:41 pm
 I saw my surgeon a few weeks ago and we talk about the possibility of me having an ulcer. I have been having horrible back pain since March and I think the pain medications are doing me in. I have all kinds of gastrointestinal issues: constipation, hemroids, nausea, abdominal cramping, bloating, ect. I mentioned to him some heart burn that I have been having and we talked about what could be the problem and that he would need to do a endoscopy. He said since my symptoms went away, we could hold off (since I am having lots of medical issues and getting lots of testing done).

But after tonight, I think I need to get scheduled for an endoscopy ASAP so that I can be treated. I had belching nonstop for about 40 minutes. And I mean nonstop. One right after another. I thought I might vomitt but didn't. Then the acid issues came. My chest still feels like it was on fire. It's not the terrible pain that it was. I think it needs to recover. I took tums. I took titralac. I remembered taking carafate from a previous ulcer (I didn't have symptoms like this though), so I asked my mother for one of her pills. And finally, that seemed to give me some relief. Now I have managed to get down a few  crackers and am trying to get in some milk. I wasn't sure about drinking milk because I know it can cause belching at times, but I think it is helping and not causing more problems. I'm up in a recliner right now. I think I will sleep here tonight. I tried to use pillows and a quilt to make a wedge, but I just couldn't lay there. It worked well, but I couldn't get comfortbale. 

I will be making a call to my surgeons office at 9am tomorrow morning. 

This started at 9:20, and now, at 11:40, I am just finally feeling some releif. 

immafatgirl
on 10/4/11 3:11 pm - KY
i hope u dont have one.
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/4/11 3:19 pm
I think I have ulcers on and off.  The pain and cramps etc, are symptoms. 
From the beginning my doc offered one of 2 choices: 1. endoscopy - and unless it is a bleeding ulcer, there is noting he can do about that... or 2. star taking the meds and see if that helps.
The meds I was taking were carafate, and prolisec 2 x a day. 
The math for me was simple: endoscopy - meant another day on anesthesia, 2 days off work + a large co-pay to the hospital. The pills - 8 + 20=28 per month...
I started taking the pills and within days I felt better.  But I an my doc realized that I do need to be on daily antacid pills. prolisec - omeprozole. One a day.  And if I start having pain and other discomfort that may indicate ulcers - I just start taking the Carafate and take it for at least a month, ( continue taking 2-3 weeks after my symptoms are gone).  So far - I was able to avoid unnecessary scopes... and problem with anesthesia...
I am not suggesting that you do that... just talk to the doc...
Many times - when the ulcer is there e- there is nothing they can do anyway... If it is bleeding ulcer - they can cauterize it, otherwise... just the meds...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 238 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 354 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 106 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 237 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics