OT: Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

babybooo828
on 10/13/11 4:25 am
After being in pain for 7 months, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday. It kind of sucks. I had this surgery to make my life better and was really looking forward to doing fun stuff this summer like hiking and amusment parks. But I didn't get to. I have hope for my future and being able to work with this diagnosis, but I'm just sad. The bonus is, that if I had all that weight on me still, I would probably hurt more and this would be even hard. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/11 4:44 am
(HUGS)  that sucks.. specially since you are not suppose to take NSAIDs... good luck...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rdy4change11
on 10/13/11 8:40 am - GA
I have Fibromyalgia and I'm still pre-op.  There are several different medications used to treat Fibromyalgia that are not NSAIDS and they work very well.  The only thing I can tell you is that each of them comes with weight gain as a side effect, so you will have to watch that.  Lyrica is a really good one.  Being very overweight and having Fibromyalgia is the one of the main reasons why I'm trying to get this surgery.  I hate that you're now having to deal with this diagnosis, but I'm glad you finally have an answer and it can be managed.  And, yes, it should be much easier to manage at the weight you are now.  With the right medication, you will be able to do all of those things again!  Good luck to you!
angcanfly
on 10/16/11 3:08 am
 First of all, I am so sorry you're in pain. I had the RNY in 2002 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2004. I've been on the whole gambit of meds including NSAIDS when I was 5 years post op. My doctor has had me on massive doses of opiods for several years and I made the best decision of my life 6 months ago when I changed primary care physicians. My new PCP sent me to a pain doctor that actually looks for the cause of pain instead of just handing out more meds. That was a very interesting discussion. We determined that while I've always had some level of pain it became way more intense a few months after having WLS. He told me that new studies are showing that those of us who've had WLS are a lot more malnourished that they originally expected. Keep in mind that I'm almost 9 years post-op, 6 days away in fact. He ordered an intensive nutritional work up and I'm going to meet with a nutritionist. The immediate finding was I had little to no iron in my system. Since I saw him last I've had an iron infusion and it's been wonderful. I've had a few 24 hour episodes but not the 5-7 day episodes I was having. He has also scheduled me to meet with a physical therapist who only works with Fibromyalgia patients. I have been completely inactive for most of my post-op life because it's just too painful and he thinks these folks can get me moving again. I'm telling you this because living with a Fibro diagnosis really sucks. Very few people understand what it is but those of us who do will be there to support you. Ask for a nutritional work-up and see what your numbers show. I'm hoping that after meeting with a nutritionist and the physical therapist, I'll be able to do all the things I had this surgery to be able to do. I hope the same for you. Good luck. You're not alone and you can do this. 

Most Active
Recent Topics