Vitamin B-12 question

T V.
on 10/14/11 9:32 am
I know we are suppose to use B-12 sublingual. When I last bought vitamins they were buy one get one free. I grabbed 2 from the same slot and one of them is just regular B-12, not sublingual. Will this work or not?

jazzycatz
on 10/14/11 9:35 am - Joppa, MD
No, unfortunately we lack a certain intrinsic factor that allows you to asorb B-12 that is swallowed in pill form.  Going to have to go and trade them for the right ones.  Sorry. 
T V.
on 10/14/11 9:38 am
I guess I am out of luck. The bottles looked so similar. I didn't notice until I had opened it. With so many bottles, I was trying to consolidate them. Thanks!

jazzycatz
on 10/14/11 9:46 am - Joppa, MD
Oh rats! Opened them.  I've actually done that.  Not with B-12, but with D-3.  Ended up with one bottle of gel caps.  Had to give those to my DH. 

Well at least someone will be able to use them. 
poet_kelly
on 10/14/11 9:36 am - OH
Not.  You do not have enough intrinsic factor in your pouch to absorb the B12 that you swallow.  Can you take it back to the store and exchange it for a sublingual?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T V.
on 10/14/11 9:41 am
Thanks Kelly! I already opened the bottle. So, I guess I will just give them to my mom.

axlebart2
on 10/14/11 10:11 am - CA
For me the B-12 sub-lingual was a pain (I just kept forgetting to take) so I ask about injection and got a prescription, the needle was 1.5 INCHES LONG....I the nurse showed me how and now I do once a month....
its not bad really!
rbb825
on 10/14/11 4:49 pm - Suffern, NY
there is no need to use such a big  needle.  the bottle of b12 says right on it, for IM or SC use - IM is intramuscular - large needle or SC is subcutaneous or tiny needle.  I asked my hematologist and my previous hematologist and they both said it doesn't matter.  They use which ever needle they have avaible.  They try to use the insulin needles if possible since it is so much less painful - actually totally painfree.  You inject in your belly - find a small piece of fat and inject.

Kathy M.
on 10/14/11 11:01 am - summershade, KY
I when to walmart and got the pill B-12  2000 I took it 2times a day and my B-12 is to high now walmart has the ones that dissolve and I take them now because my surgeon told me they where better and I'm 2months out

Kathy M

poet_kelly
on 10/14/11 11:34 am - OH
How high is your B12?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views