When do we gain the 15 pounds back?

krizzti
on 10/19/11 5:01 am, edited 10/19/11 5:01 am - Lakeville, MN
I had surgery in January 2010. I was told that after the weight loss, I could expect to gain about 15 pounds back.

My weight now hovers around 115 lbs, depending on the day. I'm ecstatic to have lost so much, but it is TOO much. My husband jokes that I need some McDonald's (my pre-surgery addiction which I refuse to go back to!) - my cheeks are all sunken in and I look just plain sickly.

Any idea when the 15 pounds normally 'return'? I could sure use 'em!

Thanks!
poet_kelly
on 10/19/11 5:04 am - OH
We gain 15 pounds back if/when we eat more calories than we burn.  We don't just automatically gain 15 pounds back.  Some people don't gain anything back, some gain five pounds back, some gain 15, some gain 30, some gain more.  If you want to gain 15 pounds back, you'll need to increase your calories.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KittenLove
on 10/19/11 6:13 am - Around Knoxville, TN
As Kelly said...it's not automatic -- it's through eating a few more bites here and there, the newness of everything wears off, real life comes into play and voila!

I will say though that I do think things shift after a while. I'm glad to say that my hiney has finally filled out some (and hubby's delight, too!)-- but I'm up less than 5 -- now, whether that's truly fat or the fact that I've been working on building it up is the reason, I shall take it. I like my body where I am today. It's taken me a long time to say that.

Be happy. 

Ladytazz
on 10/19/11 7:43 am
First off, the fat will redistribute and things will fill out.  Even without gaining weight you will look healthier soon.
Also, you are about 21 months out.  Sometime usually between 18 months and 2 or so years out the malabsorption will decrease and some will regain from that even if they don't change the way they eat.
Otherwise you will have to do what Kelly suggests and eat a bit more.  I am working on regaining some weight and I have had to make some changes like using full fat foods, adding more protein and healthy carbs.  I also don't want to go back to the habits that got me morbidly obese in the first place.  A tablespoon of nut butter is about 100 calories and if nothing else you can add one or two a day.  I also added a protein bar at about 250 calories a day.  Right there is 350 extra calories and it didn't hurt a bit.  I also added protein oatmeal and bananas.  Just do it in a controlled manner and if you find the weight going higher then you like you can always cut back a bit until you find your balance of calories in vs calories burned.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/19/11 8:00 am
According to my doc it doesn't return. If you follow the rules and get to goal we're suppose to stay there. He always told me that if he said a rebound weight gain was normal or to be expected that would be like giving patients permission to regain when they don't have to. If you're too thin see about putting a bit back on safely. Your doc can help with this. As for rebound weight gain being "normal" it's really not. Many lost to goal and stay there as long as they follow their program for maintenance. I'm 10 yrs out and have not allowed the 15 pounds I've heard so much about.
Jen 10 yrs post op Sept 2011. RNY
Laura in Texas
on 10/19/11 8:58 am
I gained 10 pounds at the 2 year mark from too much holiday grazing, but it was entirely my fault. I got it off and have kept it off. I'm 3 years out now. Many people gain between the second and third year, but I think it's because we can eat more by then and the calorie malabsorption is pretty much gone.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SLIMPRGIRL
on 10/19/11 9:03 am
Hi...  just curious to know what your weight was before wls.  best wishes!
krizzti
on 10/19/11 11:22 pm - Lakeville, MN
Good morning!
I was at 245 lbs.

Robert P.
on 10/19/11 10:29 am - Pelham, AL
I gained 30 lbs., but it was only because I started doing everything that I did to gain the weight in the first place.  I've gotten it back off, and I don't intend to have any regain, once I get to goal.
High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views