SLOW PULSE RATE

angelface512011
on 10/27/11 12:05 am, edited 10/27/11 12:07 am - GA
i have been out of surgery for three months now .I have lost 97 lbs and i feel great .The question is do any of you or have you since surgery had a low pulse rate?Mine has been 32 every since surgery .What can be happening to me? any info will be appreciated!

ROBIN

Dave Chambers
on 10/27/11 12:14 am - Mira Loma, CA
I had dizzy spells and fainted multiple times about 8 months post op. I began going to my PCP to find out the cause. During this testing time, my pulse rate was documented at 45 and 37 in his office.  2 Holter Monitor tests and 1 Event Monitor test did not a noticeable issue. Upon a referral to a cardio doc, I got one more Holter Monitor test.  Results? I had low bp issues that could only be resolved with a pacemaker. I had one implanted 4 days later. No more issues with low pulse, fainting, or passing out.  You should question this of your surgeon and PCP for evaluation. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Kat Kat
on 10/27/11 12:52 am - AZ
Hi Angel,

First and foremost call your doctor because I have no idea of your medical history, and can only share my experience.

I was at the docs right after I lost 95 lbs, and found out my heart rate was 42. I had no idea it was that low until the nurse sort of freaked out. I actually asked her to take it again. She got the doctor right away who came in checked me out, and asked a few questions, such as had I felt light headed, had I passed out, and so on. I told him I felt fine. He then explained this was typical after Gastric Bypass patients lose a lot of weight, because the heart had to work so hard before, and that after losing a lot of weight it doesn't have to work as hard anymore. In his words, he said " You have the heart of an athlete." He did warn that if I felt dizzy or light headed or fainted to call him, or go to the ER. I continue to feel just as I always did.

When I got home I did a Goggle search, and found this video that you might find interesting and amusing.  http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/17315926

I hope this works out as well for you as it did for me.
Kat

Dan OBrien
on 10/27/11 2:14 am - FL
I am right around your weight loss and have been having dizzy spells getting up.  I am trying to super hydrate to keep my pressure up.  My resting heart rate pre-surgery was 90-110.  It's now in the 50-60 range.  My BP has been greatly reduced, although I have continued to take my BP meds, which I am pretty sure I will be off of very soon.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

nduke39
on 10/27/11 10:24 am - FL
My HR stays in the 50's sometimes as low as the 40's if I really relaxed and my BP runs around 105/40.  I have been having dizzy spells and questioned the Dr. about it and he said it is normal, that  eventually your body will figure it out and the dizzy spells should go away.  He recommended to stay supper hydrated and take it slow when getting up and down.

Now as far as a HR in the 30's that sounds just a little to low.   I am in the medical field and if you are having symptoms with it such as dizzy and faining you need to call your Dr ASAP.  It may just be the body adjusting or could be something medical.

Talk2me
on 11/6/11 4:03 am - CA
RNY on 11/10/10 with
I have been having the same problem...I am almost a year out and for the last month or so I have  had several times where it feels like someone hit the off switch on my brain.  I feel fuzzy headed most of the time.  I am drinking alot and trying to up the salt intake.  I did the halter test, but you know HMOs... it may be weeks before I hear anything.  Is there anything I can do w/o having another surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views