4.5 month post-op appointment

virvin
on 11/12/11 2:15 pm - CO
I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon yesterday.  His staff is amazing to work with and he has such a wonderful bed-side manner. 

Everything appears to be going really good and he said to keep doing what I'm doing.  Walking and Zumba classes have slowly been going by the wayside as my knee is not cooperating.  I am scheduled for a scope on my knee at the end of December.  I just hope I can hold out that long.  The surgeon is going to do it via scope and clean up the arthritis, buff out a few bones spurs, and clean up the meniscus tear.  So, I'm hoping that will buy me some time until I have to have a full replacement.

He did suggest I go see a counselor as I'm having self-visualization issues.  Someone posted this topic earlier so I'm glad I'm not alone.  If I look in the mirror at myself after getting out of the shower, I start to get frustrated as I cannot see ANY differnce in the body looking back at me.  I can tell it in my pants (down from a 32 to a 20).  I can see it in my shirts (down from a 32 to a 20).  I can see it on the scale.  I just do NOT see it in the mirror.  Sigh.  I've heard it takes 2-3 years for your brain to catchup with the body regarding weightloss.  Patience is not one of my virtues. 

I go back in 3 months to have another checkup and do my blood work.  I think I've heard that my weightloss will start slowing soon and that frightens me as I still have a bit of a way to go to get to my goal.  I'm hoping that my knee surgery will put some ***** back into my exercise program. 

Let's see...what else?  Oh he said that by the time I get to goal, I should probably be eating between 1200-1500 calories.  Right now I can't begin to fathom eating that much.  I still have to set a timer when I'm home to remind myself to eat.  Just so you know...I'm definitely not complaining about that.  I was so stressed prior to surgery that I would be starving all the time but not able to fill that need.  I have not been hungry at all.  What a major change...and a positive one.

Other non-scale celebrations:
1. Went to London and averaged 5 miles per day of walking (not to mention all the stairs as most of the escalators were being worked on to prepare for the 2012 Olympics being held there)
2. Was able to go to the bathroom on the plane (why are the bathrooms soooo small??)
3. I can now sit in a booth!!  Yay!  Prior to surgery if I was going to lunch with someone, I would always get there early so I could request a table.  I don't have to do that any more!
4.  I can climb the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment and not feel like I wish I had an oxygen tank available.

Just wanted to share with everyone.  Thanks for being there for me and the rest of the members here!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

takqia1
on 11/12/11 4:08 pm

You give me hope and inspiration. I have had a few good moments so far I can fit a little better in a booth my small coat is now to big and I need new pants. I can't wait to not have a seatbelt extender and to use a plane bathroom no fluids on long flights is ridiculous.
Thank you for sharing!

JJ_
on 11/12/11 7:56 pm
Congratulations on all your successes.  You are doing so well.

Judy
Michelle V.
on 11/13/11 1:29 am - Livonia, MI
I plan on taking pictures at every month anniversary. So even if I can see a difference in the mirror - I can see it in pictures. Cause I can place them side by side.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views