Santa (Adults only lol)

T V.
on 11/14/11 6:57 am
Ok I have a question totally unrelated to WLS. I have recently separated from my husband and became unemployed (I worked at his business). I have a 9 year old son who still believes in Santa. He asks a lot if is he really real. I usually buy gifts and tell him that some are from Santa and others are from me (which becomes a lot). Since I am on unemployment, funds are very limited. Should I tell my son since he is 9 almost 10 or do you have any other solutions?

twellington1
on 11/14/11 7:21 am - NH
Don't tell him.  I am sure you will figure something out.  Are you getting child support from the ex?  I stil believed in santa when I was 9 and would have been sad if I was told differently.  Sometimes there are local agencies that will help with Christmas maybe you can check it out in your town.  Good Luck

Liz J.
on 11/14/11 7:38 am - Woonsocket, RI
Look up your local transisitional assistance
poet_kelly
on 11/14/11 7:49 am - OH
Personally, I would tell him because he's nine years old.  I'd tell him by that age whether funds were limited or not.

If you prefer not to tell him, keep in mind that kids often have little clue what things cost.  Shop at thrift stores, contact local food banks or other social service organizations to see if they help with christmas gifts, etc.  If he wants to know why he can't get all the expensive gifts he wants, you can always tell him that Santa has to make gifts for kids all over the world and that's a lot of presents so he has to put some limits on what each kid can get.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 11/14/11 8:08 am - MN
 i have had 2 kids...i didn't tell either of them...trust me, the kids at school will take care of that problem and i don't want my kids to remember when mom told them that there was no such thing as santa...and just for the record..my kids still believe..(well they pretend) and we play that game..they are 29 and 17.  The 29 year old has kids of her own and there is no harm for kids to believe in santa.  She also plays this game with her kids....if you don't believe santa doesn't visit kind of thing.  Just because there is no money or little money, doesn't mean you have to make him grow up.  One year as a single parent i had to sell old toys of my kids to get a few new things.  They don't need LOTS anyways.  Start picking up dollar items here and there for stocking stuffers...And look up local programs like the salvation army who will do christmas's for kids or toys for tots and such.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

PTM
on 11/14/11 8:13 am
My daughters were 9 years old last Christmas and we told them. It actually just came up in conversation when one of them asked if Santa was real. Apparently, kids at school had been talking about it and some were saying "your parents are really Santa." It was mildly traumatic for them, they were a little teary, but were just fine in a matter of hours.

My opinion is he's old enough to be told the truth. But you're his mom and you know how he might handle it. Go with your gut.
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
snowloft
on 11/14/11 8:31 am - Peterborough, NH
This is just my opinion, on how we managed this in my family.  We raised our daughter teaching her to be truthful.  I could not see how we could do that by getting her to believe in Santa Claus.  Of course others told us "you are giving her the fond memories we all had believing in Santa".  Still, we raised her so that she knew Santa was not real.  To this day we still have alot of fun with gifts from "Santa" under the tree, and stockings at the fireplace that "appear" Christmas Eve.  I am so glad we did this, because I would not have wanted to look at her and essentially tell her we have been lying to her for years.  

YankeeRose
on 11/14/11 9:38 am - Meadville, PA
Hi, I can't tell you whether or not to tell your son because it's your decision. I personally don't have any kids so i can't speak from experience either. However, I personally believed in Santa up until I think the 5th grade, which I was 10 yrs old. I found out through the kids at school and I was so upset to find out he wasn't real. I felt betrayed by my Mom for lying to me all those years (of course looking back on it now, I am glad to have the memory of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc.). My suggestion is to NOT tell him. He will find out from other kids. Now if he comes to you and flat out asks you if he is real because he has heard it from the other kids at school, you could take that as your out and tell him the truth. If you want to keep the magic alive for a little while longer, I would do what the others have suggested, call your local social service agencies to see if you can sign up for help with Christmas gifts. I think the Salvation Army runs the Toys for Tots program, or maybe it's the marines, in any regard, the salvation army should know where to refer you. Do it quick though because a lot of those programs have November deadlines. You could also call your local county assistance office and they might be able to tell you where you can apply. Another option would be to sell some stuff you don't need anymore to have some cash to buy a few things. There is always layaway at Kmart or Walmart which might help a little. Hit the Black Friday sales to pick up some quality items for cheap prices. I don't know if you're on speaking terms with your ex, but if it's for your kid, maybe your ex would be willing to help you buy some presents for him from "Santa." Good luck. 

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

jkay05
on 11/14/11 9:50 am
I used to be a single parent. A bit late now..but I used to pick  up little things starting in July that I knew she would like when I had bits of money. By the time Christmas came around it worked out pretty good and she had a good size Christmas. This being said...her gifts werent expensive gaming systems etc, but she hadnt asked either. I let her come to me and ask after kids at school spoiled it for her..even then I'm not sure if I even really told her. I asked her what she thought about him being real or not. She told me later on..she's now 16..that she had rather keep up the act because she wanted gifts from him so she never really devoulged when she stopped believing.LOL

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 10:01 am - NJ
Tell him so that he doesn't find out meanly from the kids at school, and also so he's not the last one who believes and feels silly about it.

I started with the tooth fairy when my daughter just turned 9 last summer.  She had so many questions she wanted to ask the tooth fairy and I thought that she thought that I would be upset if she thought the whole idea was silly.  

So I asked her what her thoughts were about the tooth fairy and she hinted at she wasn't buying it.  Then I spilled the beans and told her that I was the tooth fairy, easter bunny and santa.  She was more pissed that I LIED to her all those years.  She was always skeptical, just like her mom :)  So glad that's over with!

I also didn't want her to have someone at school tell  her just in case she really was into it, you know?  And I didn't want her to be the only kid who believed.

Funny, actually, my daughter was chatting on the phone with one of her friends who told her that she no longer believes in santa or the easter bunny, yet clings tight to the tooth fairy!  This girl will be 11 soon.  Strange.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views