strange twitchy question- viatmin deficiency?

maggiet
on 11/21/11 2:23 am - Durham, NC
I know this is strange but who else can I ask? For the past week(s) I've been getting those muscle spasms - not painful, not frequent- in my leg. I figure I need to increase my potassium. But then about a week ago I started getting the same spasm or twitch in my lips. Now they are twitching every few minutes. Has anyone else had this? Is it a vitamin deficiency? I'm almost 6 months out and haven't had my bloodwork done. If any of you know of a viatmin deficiency that might cause this, do let me know.

p.s. I'm so excited: I've reached my goal already. I made my goal realistic - the average amount of excess fat someone with an RNY loses. I'm down from a size 30 to a size 18, feel great, lifted my depression, am able to get up and around without pain. Sure am glad I had the surgery! I bet I'm not borderline diabetic anymore and that my cholesterol has gone down. But we'll see after the bloodwork.

Barbara C.
on 11/21/11 2:35 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Maggie,

I have issues with restless legs syndrome which may be due to my low iron levels. That said, I'm not sure if your symptoms are related to your WLS or not, but would urge you to call the RN at Duke WLS and talk with them. They will be glad to give you a knowledgeable evaluation and have you come in if they feel that you might need to have some labs run to nail down the issue. Please let us know what you find out if you decide to talk with the Dr or RN.

Congratulations on your significant success. I'm not sure that I'll recognize you the next time I see you. If not, be sure to come say hello. 

Warmly,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

poet_kelly
on 11/21/11 3:33 am - OH
Why haven't you had your labs done?

could be iron deficiency but it may not be about vitamins.  I'd make an appt with your doc to get your labs ordered and talk about what could be causing this.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

maggiet
on 11/21/11 4:51 am - Durham, NC
Thanks Y'all. I guess I will call the dr. I'll let you know what we find out.
Maggie

Kady
on 11/21/11 5:46 am, edited 11/21/11 5:49 am - Lancaster County, PA
I had problems with restless legs before surgery and was anemic then.   The restlessness has increased a lot since surgery, and my iron and ferritin levels are about the same as pre-op-still anemic.  I take 60mg of iron every 2-3 days, guess I should try bumping it up to everyday and find something better for my constipation.  Hopefully I'll see an improvement b/c it drives me crazy!

I am curious to hear what your iron levels are Maggie-keep us posted!

Kelly-my surgeon does the first post-op blood draw at 6 months.   My doc did check my iron etc. just done to keep tabs on it but he does not do major labs when his patients are 3 months post-op.  Maybe it is the same for her surgeon too...  I don't know if I necessairly agree with this lab schedule, but I can always get my primary care doc to run some labs on me sooner if I want so I'm not too worried about it.

maggiet
on 11/21/11 6:15 am - Durham, NC
Kady,
I take about 30mg of iron per day but I also take 3 Colace per day to help with the constipation. I also find that if I don't drink more than 64oz per day it increases the constipation.

All: I got my blood drawn and will get the results on Nov. 30th.

poet_kelly
on 11/21/11 12:18 pm - OH
You probably need at least twice that much iron.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ShebasMom
on 11/21/11 7:59 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Kady.  What type of iron are you using?  I buy the carconyl iron with vit C from VitaLady, it's much less constipating.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

poet_kelly
on 11/21/11 12:17 pm - OH
I know some docs wait a while to do labs.

With regard to your constipation, that's common after RNY because we often don't get enough fiber in our diet.  But with the iron, what kind are you taking?  Carbonyl usually doesn't cause constipation but the ferrous sulfate and other "ferrous" ones often do.

Michelle E.
on 11/21/11 11:37 am
I had the same twitching lip thing too. I have low ferritin.. I am up from 4 to 15. I take 180 mg iron with vitc per day sometimes more depending.. I went from a size 26/28 to 12.. I am almost  1 1/2 yrs out from surgery..

Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views