Dumping vs low blood suagar

Troy Roberts
on 11/27/11 1:58 pm - CO
i need help, 11 mouths out and in the past 3 months about a hour or two after eating i will get dizzy ,headache ,week almost feel like i need to vomit. not sure what is going on never have  had dumping before so not sure if its dumping or low blood sugar or something else, any advice would be great . thank you guys.
Ladytazz
on 11/27/11 2:01 pm
It sounds like reactive hypoglycemia to me but the only way to know for sure is to get a glucose monitor and check your blood sugar at the time it is happening.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

hlacy
on 11/28/11 1:09 pm - Chandler, AZ
The other day, I ate some Chex Mix. It was the first thing I ate that day, and it was on an empty stomach. I ate about 1 cup over 15 minutes or so. Within a few minutes, I had a racing pulse, was dizzy, had a headache and was nauseous. I assumed it was a carb coma. I had to look it up online because I had never experienced it before. I felt better after about an hour. 

So, I can't figure out if it was dumping or RH. The symptoms sound like RH, but the fact I ate a bunch of carbs on an empty stomach leads me to think it was dumping. I did not have my meter with me so I could not check my sugar level. In any case, it was a bad experience and I won't be eating that again. I had dinner several hours later (Thanksgiving dinner with mostly turkey) and was fine. I don't feel like it was dumping because I have dumped before and it felt totally different. 

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

emt_amy
on 11/27/11 8:38 pm - MN
Ditto with ladytazz. Most ins will cover a meter and strips.

Mary B.
on 11/27/11 11:48 pm - Southern, MD
I dump and have reactive hypoglycemia. Fortunately, I did have a monitor that I borrowed from my MIL I used to double check what was going on.

My symptoms are different for both though.

Dumping (high blood sugar) makes me nauseous and sweaty. I pretty much have to lay down until it goes away. 90% of the time, I know what is going to cause it so I can stay away.

RH (low blood sugar) makes me dizzy, cant think straight, my hands start shaking pretty badly. The shaking is usually my first symptom. Usually goes away in 10-15 minutes when I eat something. Again, I can usually stop this, but it seems to be getting worse, so Im having to be pretty careful whith my food.

Good luck to you.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 212 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 223 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics