hypoglycemia

DianeSchafer
on 11/29/11 10:00 am - Olive Branch, MS
I am 2 years out done wonderful lost 94.4% of excess..for awhile now I seem to be having episodes of hypoglycemia  sometimes after I eat maybe and hour or so all of a sudden I will get very shaky and feel like I need to eat "now"..if I wake up at night I will be in an episode of shaking and weak feeling..I eat well and all of my labs have been great this has been going on for about 6 months just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this..  I take my vitmains and everything like I am suppose to even start every morning with a protein drink still but that is because I really like them and i feel it starts my day correctly..Any feedback will be appreciated...
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/29/11 10:07 am - OH
If ti is occurring about an hour after you eat, it is more likely reactive hypoglycemia than regular hypoglycemia.  It is relatively common after RNY (yet many surgeons are not warning people about it).  There are LOTS of posts about it here, so I would suggest you do a search on it.

Usually the best way to deal with it is to eat smaller amounts more frequently throughout the day and to make sure that every meal has a small amount of carbs with the protein (although some people with RH are very sensitive to what KINDS of carbs they can eat).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/29/11 10:07 am - OH
Reactive hypoglycemia. Seems to be extremely common in post ops two or three years out.  If I eat small meals frequently and get protein with each meal and limit the starchy carbs, it keeps me from having these episodes very often.  If they happen, eating something with protein helps.  A protein bar works well for me because I get some sugar too, but not too much sugar, and the protein.  And it's quick and I don't have to do anything to prepare it while my hands are so shaky.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sharyn S.
on 11/29/11 2:03 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Welcome to the club.  Get a tee shirt and learn the secret handshake. 

Seriously, eat a protein forward diet, limit refined carbs.   Eat small, frequent meals/snacks every 2-4 hours.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views