my husband doesn't acknowledge weightloss why?

aanmarie
on 12/8/11 9:10 pm - NY

I have lost er 100 lbs.My husband has never came to me and said wow you look good like other people do.Why?Everytime someone says something about my weightloss he has to point out that he lost 20 lbs.He gets annoyed if I buy myself anything but my clothes are just to big.You think he would go out and get me something or at least compliment me.I worked really hard and I still have a ways to go.The worst part is that I really don't like when people ask me about my weightloss,but it would have been nice for my husband of 22 years to say something nice for a chnge.My 13 year old son is full of compliments.He is definetly my rock!!

Trish S.
on 12/8/11 9:19 pm - Upstate , NY
Maybe a little of the green eyed monster is emerging.  People are probably always telling you how good you look and he feels like he's fading into the background.  Is he used to getting a lot of attention, and now you are stealing his thunder?  Men are just boys in bigger clothing......we take care of them and they are usually the focal point while moms are busy taking care of the kids, house, etc.  I'm sure he thinks you look great, but maybe he's concerned that you look TOO good.....maybe it makes him insecure.  Give him extra attention and see how far that goes..... Congrats on your weight loss.....and I'm so happy that your son is your rock...... Your husband will come around, I'm sure....I'm just starting to lose, so I'm only guessing, but way to go girl, you do rock!!!!!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

WildHeart101
on 12/8/11 9:36 pm - Lexington, KY
I agree with Trish.  Hang in there and do what you need to do.  Use your support groups as much as possible.  Great job with your weightloss!
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

taylorwayzz
on 12/8/11 9:37 pm - MI
I have the opposite support. My boyfriend compliments me all the time, whereas my four teenagers never mention a thing about it. I just try not to rationalize it. I am finally doing something for me and I am sorry if it doesnt make someone else happy. You are doing a great job, and should be very proud of yourself!!!
 Lynnette                 
seashell6417
on 12/8/11 9:38 pm - Gaylord, MN
My husband has also not acknowledged my weight loss but he has never been one to give compliments to anyone.  He has only complimented how I look once in our ten years of marriage and that was pre WLS.  It used to bother me but have just accepted that is how he is. 
Tami

Laura in Texas
on 12/8/11 9:43 pm
In your 22 years of marriage has he complimented you in other areas? My boyfriend and I have known each other for over 20 years. He has ALWAYS complimented me, even when I was overweight. Some people are just better with that.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

BeautifulCajun
on 12/8/11 11:18 pm - Evangeline , LA
I understand where you are coming from. We all need some extra TLC from our Sagnificant other!

I agree with everyone here. Keep your chin up!! Hang in there! You are beautiful!

AnD CONGRATS!

poet_kelly
on 12/8/11 11:24 pm - OH
Sounds like he's jealous, but if you really want to know why, why don't you ask him?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 12/9/11 12:12 am
My husband has said very little about my weight loss.  He's never complained about the clothes shopping - but I've been very frugal (mostly 2nd hand stuff). 

If everything else is good - then I'd let it go.  Change is threatening.  My hubby showed me that he noticed my weight loss in other ways....

My husband is a bit overweight, so for us, I think jealousy is a real issue.  I let this go - because he never said a word about my weight when I was big either.

However, if your husband doesn't support you in anything, or things are going south, seek professional counseling.  It's not unusual for marriages to dissolve after wls.

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Bralen
on 12/9/11 12:26 am
If it were me, I would ask him about it. Sometimes all that's needed is an honest conversation to get over a bump in the road.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??